Apr 3, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Just another day in New York with the Knicks. Jeremy Lin had surgery and was tweeting photos from the hospital. Baron Davis was trying to stay healthy enough to carry the load left to him as the point guard. Meanwhile reports surfaced suggesting the Knicks may have held off on announcing that Lin needed surgery for their own selfish marketing reasons. The team denied that claim suggesting the New York Daily News publisher is pushing a negative Knicks agenda to pressure Knicks owner Cablevision to merge the paper it owns (Newsday) with the Daily News.
Since when did a New York paper need motivation to go negative on the Knicks?
In an ironic twist, all that craziness left Carmelo Anthony as the guy trying to be the calm eye at the center of the storm. He said he is keeping his head down and focusing on the playoffs. Here is what he told the New York Post.
“I believe we’ll make the playoffs,’’ Anthony said yesterday before the Knicks traveled to face the Pacers tonight. “We want to utilize the next 13 games and days we have off to get everybody right. The guys who are healthy have to stay healthy. The guys not healthy, got to get healthy.’’
The Knicks are two games ahead of the Milwaukee Bucks for the final playoff spot in the East. New York has been hot lately — 9-2 in their last 11 — and ‘Melo sounds like a happy guy now that new coach Mike Woodson is running the offense through him (and with Lin and Amare Stoudemire out injured ‘Melo gets all the touches he wants).
“Coach Woodson always wanted me to go down there in the post, get to the goal by driving and staying close to the basket,’’ Anthony said. “So the system he’s put in, not really a system but the offense he’s put in, is to get more post-ups to get closer to the basket and from there start inside out.’’
This is Anthony’s team now — so long as they keep winning and hold on to that last playoff spot there will be plenty of love for Anthony. But if things turn on the court, you can bet the soap opera that has focused on other story lines will come back to ‘Melo with a vengeance.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 3
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay