Apr 3, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
Just another day in New York with the Knicks. Jeremy Lin had surgery and was tweeting photos from the hospital. Baron Davis was trying to stay healthy enough to carry the load left to him as the point guard. Meanwhile reports surfaced suggesting the Knicks may have held off on announcing that Lin needed surgery for their own selfish marketing reasons. The team denied that claim suggesting the New York Daily News publisher is pushing a negative Knicks agenda to pressure Knicks owner Cablevision to merge the paper it owns (Newsday) with the Daily News.
Since when did a New York paper need motivation to go negative on the Knicks?
In an ironic twist, all that craziness left Carmelo Anthony as the guy trying to be the calm eye at the center of the storm. He said he is keeping his head down and focusing on the playoffs. Here is what he told the New York Post.
“I believe we’ll make the playoffs,’’ Anthony said yesterday before the Knicks traveled to face the Pacers tonight. “We want to utilize the next 13 games and days we have off to get everybody right. The guys who are healthy have to stay healthy. The guys not healthy, got to get healthy.’’
The Knicks are two games ahead of the Milwaukee Bucks for the final playoff spot in the East. New York has been hot lately — 9-2 in their last 11 — and ‘Melo sounds like a happy guy now that new coach Mike Woodson is running the offense through him (and with Lin and Amare Stoudemire out injured ‘Melo gets all the touches he wants).
“Coach Woodson always wanted me to go down there in the post, get to the goal by driving and staying close to the basket,’’ Anthony said. “So the system he’s put in, not really a system but the offense he’s put in, is to get more post-ups to get closer to the basket and from there start inside out.’’
This is Anthony’s team now — so long as they keep winning and hold on to that last playoff spot there will be plenty of love for Anthony. But if things turn on the court, you can bet the soap opera that has focused on other story lines will come back to ‘Melo with a vengeance.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 33
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 35
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 16
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26