Shaq talks NBA’s all-time greatest (and Kazaam) with GQ

Apr 3, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT

BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Getty Images

Shaquille O’Neal really doesn’t talk clothing in his interview with GQ. Which is fine, my guess is that Shaq doesn’t really fit into anything off the rack anyway. We shop for clothes in very different worlds.

But he does talk with GQ about a number of other things, from his girlfriend (they are still together, despite what you may read) and his business degree.

GQ also asked him the question a lot of us have wondered: Why “Kazaam?”

“I was a medium-level juvenile delinquent from Newark who always dreamed about doing a movie. Someone said, ‘Hey, here’s $7 million, come in and do this genie movie.’ What am I going to say, no? So I did it. “

Kind of hard to argue with that.

Sure, they talked basketball, too. And Chris Bosh. Like why he is always so hard on Bosh.

“I’m just not calling him part of the Big 3. He put up good numbers, but he wasn’t leading Toronto to any number one spots, you know what I’m saying? One day I gave him 46 points and he was like ‘Oh, s***, Shaq cheated.’ That’s when I called him the RuPaul of the NBA. A lot of times I’m just messing around but if he thinks I’m serious, so what?”

Bosh did not make Shaq’s list of the greatest players in NBA history. (If Bosh makes your list of the NBA’s all-time greatest — and you’re name isn’t Mrs. Bosh — we need to have a talk.) Shaq broke is all-time list down by position:

Point Guard? “I probably have to give that to Magic Johnson.”
Shooting guard? “Jordan.”
Small forward? “Probably Bird.”
Power forward? “Either Barkley or Karl Malone. Or even Tim Duncan. It’s a mix-up, I’m not sure.”
Center? “Greatest center is Kareem, Wilt, or me. Depends on how you look at it.”

Kind of hard to argue with that, too.

1. cured76 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Don’t disagree with his list at all.

Shaq is a one-of-a-kind. The guy can entertain.

2. loungefly74 - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

that is a mean line-up…no weak spots.

3. smackingfools - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

He’s also said kobe and d wade were the best ever and that he’d never play for another coach but Phil Jackson.

• mannyfresh209 - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I really don’t understand your point. I sat here for about 3 minutes trying, and I just can’t…

4. patsfan15 - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’m pretty sure the article was written to inform the public about his all time line up and that shaq did an article with GQ. What’s not to get ?

5. lakerluver - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I agree with Magic, Jordan, and Bird. However, I think it’s clear Duncan is the best PF ever. If Duncan was all about scoring he could’ve scored as many points as Malone. But he was more about winning and doing a multitude of things for his team. Maybe the most unselfish superstar ever. At center I gotta take Kareem or Wilt. Wilt could easily be regarded as the greatest player ever, though most people younger than 50 would say MJ. As for Shaq, if he had only wanted it bad enough he could’ve been the best center ever. He was totally dominant the three seasons he led the LAKERS to titles. He and Kobe could’ve won more titles than MJ and Pippen did.

6. jagwar73 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Shaq was so overrated. I am surprised though that he put himself on the list. Not!

7. mistercharitystripe34 - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Karl Malone is a loser next to the Great Tim Duncan. I’m tired of the “Mailman.” What a choke-artist.

8. midnite2020 - Apr 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

are you guys slow? special needs? id understand these comments wilt played against bill Russell that’s it 4th graders don’t make you the goat. next Tim duncan is the worst superstar athlete I’ve ever seen as a person great as a teammate superb as an athletic force a joke a system player who overachieved third Shaw didn’t take the game seriously as he would’ve been outthat of the league like dawkins was exiled for shear domination stern woulda lost it finally the only goat besides jordan is allen iverson he took eric snow to the finals point blank period 140 soaked and killed the league nuff said

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I think your the slow one. Wilt didn’t just play against Russell you moron. Nate Thurmond? Willis Reed? Jerry Lucas? Walt Bellamy? There are more too. The 60’s had better teams then people give that era credit for. Wilt is the GOAT. And had it not been for Russell and the other 7 HOFers (including the coach) on that team Wilt would have way more then 2 Rings. Jordan’s Bulls never faced a team anywhere near as good as Russell Celtics.

Duncan is without a doubt the best PF ever. 3 Rings means your not overrated.

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

And Iverson was a horrible teammate that never won anything. He didn’t practice or learn how to play the game right. That is why no one wants anything to do with him. Oh and I’m a sixers fan with 2 AI jerseys in my closet.

• savvybynature - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

The Big Fundamental has 4 rings, and still chasing one for the thumb.
        If you think Timmy D is overrated, you need to learn some things about basketball. He was an elite post defender, rebounder, and low post scorer, and a great passer for a big man. Also, respected as a great leader by other players.
        What more could you want, except a massive ego and a lot of flash and drama?

9. trollaikman8 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

He conveniently didn’t mention Hakeem as the best center candidate….you know, Hakeem, the guy that abused Shaq in every possible way.

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The Dream is an all timer but he isn’t Wilt

10. sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Center-Wilt
    PF-Russell or Duncan
    SF-Larry Bird
    SG-MJ
    PG-Oscar/Magic

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:06 PM

As a philly homer I’ll keep Wilt at C. Russell may move to PF, I can’t just write off Duncan because he was a stud.

• loungefly74 - Apr 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM

another great list. basically…there are about a dozen guys that can be interchanged on the ultimate line-up list.

11. bowwserr - Apr 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

sasquash20 – agree with everything you said. Time Duncan IS the greatest power forward EVER.

However, my man, I need to point out that Timmy has won 4, not 3, NBA titles.

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

My bad that would make him even better

12. davidcl77 - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Ever heard of Bill Russell?

• sasquash20 - Apr 3, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Yeah I move him to PF in my all time list. Wilt is my Center. Russell and Duncan can battle it out in camp to see who is my starting PF

13. lakerluver - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

This midnite20/20 Dude asks are WE slow!! Dude, judging by the way you put your comment together I think we should ask you are YOU slow?!! I couldn’t even decipher that crap. If you’re going to leave comments at least make some sense!!!

14. wj4122 - Apr 4, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Of course the quietest one but with the record for steals and assist ( which will not be broken for a hundred years)! Does not even get mentioned…..John Stockton is the best pg! Look up the stats do your research. Magic was great but magic always had a much better supporting cast. John lead his team to 19 straight playoff clinching seasons. In one of the worst basketball markets known to man! No other player can say that…..no one!

15. wj4122 - Apr 4, 2012 at 3:13 AM

John Stockton….do your research best numbers by far for a point guard lead his team to playoffs 19 years in a row in the worst market. No one can say that…no one. His assist record might not ever be broken and that’s hard to say about any record!

16. wj4122 - Apr 4, 2012 at 4:00 AM

John Stockton! Best stats of any pg. the assist record will be extremely hard to top!! If not almost impossible. ( I add the word almost because records are supposed to be broken) plus he lead his team to 19 straight playoff appearances ( no other pg can say that ) plus he played in one of the wordy markets!!!! Magic was great but also had a great team to play with.

17. wj4122 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:24 AM

John Stockton….not flashy but easily the best pg….look it up

18. wj4122 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Leads in assist and steals ( the assist record will be very very very tough to beat) and he lead a team to 19 consecutive playoff berths in the worst market on the planet! Magic was great but he always had a great supporting cast. Pg is not a scorer he is a play maker and runs the offense John was the best at that.

19. wj4122 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Sorry for all that…..it never uploaded till today so I would randomly try to put something up because it never showed.. Did not expect it all to load.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches