Apr 3, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
This is from the “you can overthink things” file.
Ray Allen has missed six games with a sprained ankle and recently got the long-needle cortisone shot to help things along. In his place Avery Bradley has played very well — scoring in double-digits in four of the six, dropping 23 on the Wizards and making a highlight-reel block on Dwyane Wade. Boston has had its best run of play of the season with him starting.
Allen practiced Tuesday and is ready to go Wednesday against the San Antonio Spurs, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com. And coach Doc Rivers said he would start — which some fans don’t want because they think Bradley should stay the starter. Over Ray Allen.
A healthy Allen certainly makes the Celtics a deeper team, which is important this time of year. But his return comes at a time when the C’s are playing their best basketball of the year. And the man that replaced him, Avery Bradley, has been an instrumental figure in the Celtics’ strong play of late.
Now that Allen is on the verge of returning, Bradley goes back to being a guy that the C’s look to for bench support. It’ll be worth keeping an eye on whether the transition will be a relatively smooth one for both players.
Bradley has played well, in part the Celtics success however has been about Rajon Rondo stepping up his game. About the team stepping up their game. That doesn’t have to change with Allen back, but it can if the team exhales and relaxes. We’ll see.
But right now you can’t start Bradley and bench a future Hall of Famer in Ray Allen. You just can’t.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36