Apr 3, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
This is from the “you can overthink things” file.
Ray Allen has missed six games with a sprained ankle and recently got the long-needle cortisone shot to help things along. In his place Avery Bradley has played very well — scoring in double-digits in four of the six, dropping 23 on the Wizards and making a highlight-reel block on Dwyane Wade. Boston has had its best run of play of the season with him starting.
Allen practiced Tuesday and is ready to go Wednesday against the San Antonio Spurs, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com. And coach Doc Rivers said he would start — which some fans don’t want because they think Bradley should stay the starter. Over Ray Allen.
A healthy Allen certainly makes the Celtics a deeper team, which is important this time of year. But his return comes at a time when the C’s are playing their best basketball of the year. And the man that replaced him, Avery Bradley, has been an instrumental figure in the Celtics’ strong play of late.
Now that Allen is on the verge of returning, Bradley goes back to being a guy that the C’s look to for bench support. It’ll be worth keeping an eye on whether the transition will be a relatively smooth one for both players.
Bradley has played well, in part the Celtics success however has been about Rajon Rondo stepping up his game. About the team stepping up their game. That doesn’t have to change with Allen back, but it can if the team exhales and relaxes. We’ll see.
But right now you can’t start Bradley and bench a future Hall of Famer in Ray Allen. You just can’t.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30