Apr 3, 2012, 3:12 PM EST
Stan Van Gundy is ticked. Dwight Howard missed one game (and is a game-time decision Tuesday vs. the Pistons) due to back spasms he and his center claim comes from Brendan Haywood “double punching” Howard in the back during the third quarter of the Magic/Mavericks game.
Van Gundy sent the film to the league office. Let’s hope he has some camera angle other than what is available from the game footage, otherwise it looks like two guys just battling in the post like every other NBA game (the league agrees and has said there would be no discipline for Haywood). Haywood brings his arms in like an offensive lineman, but that is different than a punch.
“Man I am just sitting here training with Floyd Mayweather getting ready for my next fight.”
He was joking, folks. And by folks I mean the Van Gundy family. Besides, if he was training with Mayweather he’d be ducking fights, not trying to start them.
Haywood seems amused by the allegations.
“Like I said it is a physical game and sometimes guys get testy with elbows, throwing forearms. No one throws any punches out there. NBA guys? We are not about that. It’s all WWE to us. We’re fake tough guys. No one throws any real punches. It’s unfortunate Stan feels that way. I know he has to protect his guy, but it’s just not the case. No one has any footage of it I guess except him, so unless he has (Magic assistant coach) Patrick Ewing on the bench taping with his iPhone I don’t think that really happened.”
And by the way Brendan, who is the most physical center in the Association?
“Oh Dwight [Howard] hands down. I mean first play of the game he popped me real good in my chest. He hit me so hard in my chest I felt it in my knee. You know you are not supposed to get hit hard enough in your chest when you feel it in your knee.”
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6