Apr 3, 2012, 4:39 PM EST
The Memphis Grizzlies beat the Oklahoma City Thunder on Monday night while you were watching Anthony Davis, and we all chalked it up to being a sandwich game (the Thunder beat the Lakers, Heat and Bulls in the last 8 days and have the Heat again Wednesday).
Okay, maybe that’s not the obvious. But it was a key part of what got Memphis the win, reports the Commercial Appeal.
In case no one noticed, that was Gilbert Arenas guarding and disrupting Durant for long stretches in the game. Yes, that Gilbert Arenas — the one who just signed on to play for the Griz two weeks ago. The Griz got away with Arenas defending Durant most of the second period and weren’t exploited by the matchup. It was a move dictated by Allen and Rudy Gay’s foul trouble, and Arenas’ confidence in his experience.
“He surprised me,” Allen said of Arenas. “A few days ago, we saw Durant play Houston and Arenas said he use to defend him in Washington. He got his chance to defend him tonight and he frustrated Durant. That is the good thing about our team, we can mix it up and mix and match.”
Arenas is playing pretty well in Memphis, blending in more than some (okay, me) expected. Here is what Arenas said on the topic, via Steve Aschburner of NBA.com.
“Right now, whatever the team needs. I’m a role player,” Arenas said after scoring four points on 2-of-7 shooting with six rebounds and two assists in 16:36 minutes after the Bucks. “Just come in and manage the game. Like now, [Mike] Conley was out — if they need scoring, I can put on my scoring cap. I’m just trying to not make a lot of mistakes and hurt us.”
It’s guys like that who make a difference in the playoffs. And Memphis is already a team nobody wants in the playoffs. Gilbert Arenas may no longer be a difference maker, but he could make a difference (if you get the subtle difference).
Then again, next time KD goes up against Arenas it may be revenge mode time. And if KD is in that zone nobody is stopping them.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 9
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 18
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 34
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (60)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)