Apr 3, 2012, 9:28 AM EST
Don’t pull out the “loyalty” card on Deron Williams.
Some Nets fans have tried it on twitter as a way to convince D-Will to stay in New Jersey — actually, make that Brooklyn — and not opt-out this summer. Williams will have none of it. He keeps saying his loyalty is to winning.
What Williams told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports follows what he has said all along — he is going to look at all his options this summer. And that loyalty in the NBA tends to be a one-way street — fans beg teams to dump unproductive players but want good players to be loyal to the organization.
“People get traded all the time,” Williams told Yahoo! Sports. “They don’t get backlash as an organization. If [players] leave, we are not loyal, we are ungrateful. People say stuff to me on Twitter. They already think I’m gone. They are out there bashing me, saying to me I’m a traitor.
“I didn’t ask to be here. I got traded. I didn’t come here being a free agent. This is the first time that I’m a free agent in my career.”
If the Nets had completed their plan and gotten Dwight Howard, Williams confirmed that he pretty much would be staying. But Howard will play next season (or at least up to the trade deadline) in Orlando and his future could go a lot of directions. Williams isn’t tying his future to Howard’s.
This summer pretty much comes down to Brooklyn and hope with a young roster vs. Dallas, which has a winning culture, Dirk Nowitzki and can offer him a max deal (but less than what the Nets can offer). Williams was born and raised in the Dallas area.
Right now Williams is saying it’s about winning (everyone says its about winning until the money is on the table). But more than most, he might mean it.
“I want to win. At the end of the day, I’m not getting any younger,” Williams said. “I’ll be 28 when I sign this next deal. I have to look for the best situation for me.”
Not sure what that will be for sure, but he sounds like a guy who will test the market for sure.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11