Deron Williams sounds ready to test free agent market

Apr 3, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v New Jersey Nets Getty Images

Don’t pull out the “loyalty” card on Deron Williams.

Some Nets fans have tried it on twitter as a way to convince D-Will to stay in New Jersey — actually, make that Brooklyn — and not opt-out this summer. Williams will have none of it. He keeps saying his loyalty is to winning.

What Williams told Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports follows what he has said all along — he is going to look at all his options this summer. And that loyalty in the NBA tends to be a one-way street — fans beg teams to dump unproductive players but want good players to be loyal to the organization.

“People get traded all the time,” Williams told Yahoo! Sports. “They don’t get backlash as an organization. If [players] leave, we are not loyal, we are ungrateful. People say stuff to me on Twitter. They already think I’m gone. They are out there bashing me, saying to me I’m a traitor.

“I didn’t ask to be here. I got traded. I didn’t come here being a free agent. This is the first time that I’m a free agent in my career.”

If the Nets had completed their plan and gotten Dwight Howard, Williams confirmed that he pretty much would be staying. But Howard will play next season (or at least up to the trade deadline) in Orlando and his future could go a lot of directions. Williams isn’t tying his future to Howard’s.

This summer pretty much comes down to Brooklyn and hope with a young roster vs. Dallas, which has a winning culture, Dirk Nowitzki and can offer him a max deal (but less than what the Nets can offer). Williams was born and raised in the Dallas area.

Right now Williams is saying it’s about winning (everyone says its about winning until the money is on the table). But more than most, he might mean it.

“I want to win. At the end of the day, I’m not getting any younger,” Williams said. “I’ll be 28 when I sign this next deal. I have to look for the best situation for me.”

Not sure what that will be for sure, but he sounds like a guy who will test the market for sure.

1. drunkenjunk - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Come home to Dallas, Deron. You can be our new centerpiece here.

2. deadeyedesign23 - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

These Nets fans tweeting at him have no one to blame, but Billy King. He pushed all his chips in on the hope of D-Will and Dwight. Then he doubled down on Gerald Wallace of all people. Now it’s becoming clear that he lost and when you go all in and lose you gotta leave the table.

3. trybe29dr - Apr 3, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Williams hit it on the head…he didnt ask to be there. He played out his contract with no complaints…the team didnt do anything of value other than trade for Wallace whos also likely to opt out…

4. 700levelvet - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:03 AM

How the hell does Billy King still have a NBA Exec. Job?……What exactly has he accomplished?……

• jmclarkent - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Agreed, 100%.

He should have been fired instantly when he traded a 1st round draft pick for half a season of Gerald Wallace (for a team that is well below .500). He didn’t even dump contracts for the future – Okur was expiring, anyway.

I still don’t understand what the hell he was trying to do with that one…

5. pl4tinum514 - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Colossal f-ck up. They’ve been set back several years now for what? Nothing.

6. ndirishfan1 - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Good as gone. Dallas makes the most sense both for him personally (from the area) and financially. Good work on Cuban’s part securing cap space to make this move.

Not exactly the way the Nets wanted to make their big move, but at least they’ll have Gerald Wallace!

7. dysraw1 - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

the Nets are going to be alright even if D-Will takes his talent to Dallas. they will have cap room, and the draft D-Will is nice but dont cry if he leaves. it wasn’t meant to be.

• deadeyedesign23 - Apr 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Well they likely won’t have the draft either.

8. Mr. Wright 212 - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Said it before and will say it again — NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY FOR THE NETS. And the only people who will be going to that space shuttle down the block from my office is these transplant hipsters who won’t even be there for basketball.

THIS ALWAYS HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE KNICK COUNTRY.

9. astrosfan75956 - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Mark Cuban open up youre wallet for williams to come home.

10. losangelasbasketball - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:36 AM

only franchise players can play the defector card…..
    guys like scalabrini can’t play that card…dwill can…

11. tomtravis76 - Apr 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Try to go with an all foreign born roster to open up the Brooklyn arena. They need some kind of “gimmick” to sell tickets. Gets fans talking about the foreign vs usa basketball following the olympics.

12. lakerluver - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I love his honesty. None of the BS we got from Howard. IMO its Dallas. However, Dirk’s not a young player anymore, so will Deron be putting himself in the same situation he’s in now in Jersey?

• ndirishfan1 - Apr 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Dirk has a few good years left, and with a top flight point guard next to him he isn’t going to have to work as hard for open looks.

13. reupjosh - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM

@Lakerluver… Very Correct. All free agents need to take note and follow Deron and Chris Paul’s lead… Be upfront and honest and don’t string your fanbase along. Fans ‘should’ understand. Whereas all this indecision and drama just makes you look bad. I’m looking at you Dwight.

14. Gordon - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

He’s handled this the right way from the start. Everyone, including the Nets, knew he would test FA unless they got Howard. He never played coy.

15. reupjosh - Apr 3, 2012 at 1:34 PM

@DaRealRandolph sure has been quiet lately… I could have sworn he guaranteed that D12 and Dwill we’re going to be in a Nets uni by now.

• darealrandolph - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM

@reupjosh -if they got d12 he would stay but plus if they draft Anthony Davis nets could package him and brook Lopez for a star player to pair with d-will plus their no guarantee d12 will stay with the magic long term . i could care less if d-will leaves cuz I’m a true new york knicks fan but I’m also from Brooklyn so i want Brooklyn nets organization to do well . its up to billy king to bring a star player to pair with d-will or d-will will head to home town “Dallas” its not no secret just saying.(d12 also can be traded to nets if the magic gets bounced in the first round and request a trade to the nets again by pulling the “Carmelo”card)

• darealrandolph - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

in the draft nets have to make a trade for a star to pair with d-will if not d-will will head back home to dallas

16. prosourcetalk - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

The Nets do not have a first round pick; they traded it to acquire Gerald Wallace

• darealrandolph - Apr 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

top 3 protected if Portland get 4,5,6……etc blazers keep the pick but if its a first,second or third pick nets keep the pick

17. 00maltliquor - Apr 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM

In other unbelievably shocking news today: Grass is green, the sky is blue, Everybody Hates Chris and I Love Lucy

18. ezmagic - Apr 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Easy answer. He’s coming to Orlando. Why Dallas when dirk is way on the wrong side of 30.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches