Apr 2, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
Here is your chance to learn a little NBA rules trivia: This did not count due to offensive goaltending — and that’s the right call.
Portland’s Nicolas Batum dunked the ball on Sunday and while it went through the rim the ball did not go through the bottom of the net because it hit his head and bounced back out. He got whistled for offensive goaltending — which is the correct call according to the rulebook. It has to clear the bottom of the net.
I knew this because I have this problem all the time in pickup games at the Y…. okay, I learned it yesterday like the rest of you. And Batum for that matter, who said after the game he was unaware of the rule (in Europe it just has to clear the rim, he said it’s happened to him before).
Hat tip to IamaGM.com for the video.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 8
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 10