Apr 2, 2012, 9:53 AM EST
Here is your chance to learn a little NBA rules trivia: This did not count due to offensive goaltending — and that’s the right call.
Portland’s Nicolas Batum dunked the ball on Sunday and while it went through the rim the ball did not go through the bottom of the net because it hit his head and bounced back out. He got whistled for offensive goaltending — which is the correct call according to the rulebook. It has to clear the bottom of the net.
I knew this because I have this problem all the time in pickup games at the Y…. okay, I learned it yesterday like the rest of you. And Batum for that matter, who said after the game he was unaware of the rule (in Europe it just has to clear the rim, he said it’s happened to him before).
Hat tip to IamaGM.com for the video.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 30
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 30
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 36
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10