Apr 2, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
With the college season winding down — and the NCAA putting a ridiculous time pressure on students thinking about declaring for the draft — we’re seeing a lot of guys say they are in or out of the draft.
Here is a roundup of recent big names to make their announcement.
• Fab Melo of Syracuse will enter the draft and has signed with an agent (making it irreversible), reports the ultra-reliable DraftExpress. Not a shock, he battled eligibility issues. The 7’0” center averaged 7.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game, but NBA scouts are not blown away. He has an NBA body and is pretty mobile, but he is not a guy with many post moves (he got his points in college because he is really tall and stands near the basket) and there are questions about his feel for the game. DraftExpress has him going No. 28, so he is a late first round, early second round guy.
• Patric Young, the Florida big man some NBA scouts do like, is expected to stay another year in college. He was expected to go in the first round.
• Terrence Ross, the swingman from Washington (that nobody saw because the Pac-10 sucked this year) is entering the draft. Ross is solidly in the first round (DraftExpress has him 16) because he is an athletic swingman with good shooting range.
• Maybe the more heralded player from the Huskies, freshman Tony Wroten, has yet to make his decision.
• J’Covan Brown is forgoing his senior season at Texas and is headed to the draft. He averaged 20.1 points per game last season and is a quick, penetrating guard who put up points in college. If he gets drafted it likely will be in the second round.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 5
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21