Apr 2, 2012, 2:07 PM EDT
With the college season winding down — and the NCAA putting a ridiculous time pressure on students thinking about declaring for the draft — we’re seeing a lot of guys say they are in or out of the draft.
Here is a roundup of recent big names to make their announcement.
• Fab Melo of Syracuse will enter the draft and has signed with an agent (making it irreversible), reports the ultra-reliable DraftExpress. Not a shock, he battled eligibility issues. The 7’0” center averaged 7.8 points and 5.8 rebounds per game, but NBA scouts are not blown away. He has an NBA body and is pretty mobile, but he is not a guy with many post moves (he got his points in college because he is really tall and stands near the basket) and there are questions about his feel for the game. DraftExpress has him going No. 28, so he is a late first round, early second round guy.
• Patric Young, the Florida big man some NBA scouts do like, is expected to stay another year in college. He was expected to go in the first round.
• Terrence Ross, the swingman from Washington (that nobody saw because the Pac-10 sucked this year) is entering the draft. Ross is solidly in the first round (DraftExpress has him 16) because he is an athletic swingman with good shooting range.
• Maybe the more heralded player from the Huskies, freshman Tony Wroten, has yet to make his decision.
• J’Covan Brown is forgoing his senior season at Texas and is headed to the draft. He averaged 20.1 points per game last season and is a quick, penetrating guard who put up points in college. If he gets drafted it likely will be in the second round.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury