Apr 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EST
Andrew Bynum had the big blow-up with Mike Brown a few weeks ago where he tossed up a three, and then pouted about being benched for the three and poor defensive rotations. And on Sunday, after a disappointing win, if there is such a thing, over the New Orleans Hornets, reporters asked Bynum about Mike Brown’s timeouts. Bynum… well… from the Los Angeles Times:
Kobe Bryant missed his first 15 shots, and so a reporter asked Bynum what Kobe was like in the huddle during timeouts?
“I don’t know,” Bynum said with his characteristic cavalier attitude. “I don’t take part in the huddles.”
Another reporter reacted with disbelief, asking why not.
“I’m resting,” Bynum said. “Getting my Zen on.”
That’s a pretty clear jab about Phil Jackson being better than Brown.
Bynum is a child. He’s still a child, he’s been one for the entirety of his career. From the three-pointers, to the approach to rehab from injuries, to huddles and flagrant fouls, he continues to show a lack of maturity. Great player, second-best center in the league. But there’s something to be said for professionalism. When the Lakers turn to Bynum in a few years as the franchise player, what’s going to be the result without Kobe Bryant’s firm hand or Pau Gasol‘s professionalism? Bynum doesn’t like Brown? Fine. Most reporters and fans don’t either. Kobe Bryant clearly isn’t thrilled, either.
But he should be in the huddles, he should be engaged, he should be putting up a front for the media. The Lakers need everyone to circle the wagons. Whether he likes Brown or not, he needs to protect him as a part of his job, not throw him under the bus. The article also talks about Brown having to try three times to get Bynum’s attention. That should never happen. This is what the Lakers have married themselves to. Hope the dunks are worth it.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)