Apr 1, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
Andrew Bynum had the big blow-up with Mike Brown a few weeks ago where he tossed up a three, and then pouted about being benched for the three and poor defensive rotations. And on Sunday, after a disappointing win, if there is such a thing, over the New Orleans Hornets, reporters asked Bynum about Mike Brown’s timeouts. Bynum… well… from the Los Angeles Times:
Kobe Bryant missed his first 15 shots, and so a reporter asked Bynum what Kobe was like in the huddle during timeouts?
“I don’t know,” Bynum said with his characteristic cavalier attitude. “I don’t take part in the huddles.”
Another reporter reacted with disbelief, asking why not.
“I’m resting,” Bynum said. “Getting my Zen on.”
That’s a pretty clear jab about Phil Jackson being better than Brown.
Bynum is a child. He’s still a child, he’s been one for the entirety of his career. From the three-pointers, to the approach to rehab from injuries, to huddles and flagrant fouls, he continues to show a lack of maturity. Great player, second-best center in the league. But there’s something to be said for professionalism. When the Lakers turn to Bynum in a few years as the franchise player, what’s going to be the result without Kobe Bryant’s firm hand or Pau Gasol‘s professionalism? Bynum doesn’t like Brown? Fine. Most reporters and fans don’t either. Kobe Bryant clearly isn’t thrilled, either.
But he should be in the huddles, he should be engaged, he should be putting up a front for the media. The Lakers need everyone to circle the wagons. Whether he likes Brown or not, he needs to protect him as a part of his job, not throw him under the bus. The article also talks about Brown having to try three times to get Bynum’s attention. That should never happen. This is what the Lakers have married themselves to. Hope the dunks are worth it.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44