Video: Kevin Garnett sets up shop in Al Jefferson’s cerebral cortex

Mar 31, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

This is your monthly reminder that Kevin Garnett is a real sweetheart.

I won’t revisit the debates on Garnett. You have your opinion at this point and it won’t change. His antics are either the mark of a true warrior or the silly behavior of a fake bully. His intensity is either an overdramatic performance for show or a revelation into the heart of the most passionate player in the NBA. And his consistent workaround of the rules in creating contact without confrontation is either ingenious or cowardly. Maybe all of the above are true at once. But this is who he is and he’a major part of NBA history.

So against Al Jefferson and the Utah Jazz earlier this week, Garnett was up to all his old tricks. They’re all here in the video. The elbows after the whistle. The constant jabbering. An unnecessary shoulder to the face. He’s daring Jefferson to respond, because he knows Jefferson would get kicked out. Jefferson doesn’t, because he knows there’s no point, his team needs him, and he needs his money. But you wouldn’t blame the guy if he had taken Garnett’s head off.

For his part, Jefferson responded to it the only way you can. That’s just KG being KG.

Jefferson had 18 points on 19 shots and 12 rebounds. Garnett had 23 points on 16 shots and 10 rebounds and of course, the Celtics won.

(Via IAmAGM.com)

1. juanandonly24 - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM

He’s probably just upset that the Celtics are going to go into another decade of mediocrity, since I don’t see him doing this to any of the elite teams…

2. ihavenonickname - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Your right about garnett, I think its both its neither here nor there. But I do love watching this stuff, the game within the game.

3. LilTmac2003 - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM

There is playing hard, and then there is playing dirty.

Honestly, KG is of the latter type.

There is no respect when it comes to him.

4. lucidsportsfan - Mar 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Garnett is an instigator, and a little bit crazy, but I love having him on the Celtics. And he’s been playing great since moving to the center spot. He’s about to lead the C’s to the 20th straight winning season for a Boston sports team http://www.lucidsportsfan.com/2012_03_01_archive.html#1751576927020958934

• drunkenjunk - Mar 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM

he’s a douche, but he’s your douche. I understand.

5. 28loose - Mar 31, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Just hilarious to watch Garnett do his thing. Probably one of the best things is one of the commentators (Celtics commentators I presume) kind of taking Garnett to town on his antics.

Good stuff.

• Kansachusetts - Apr 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

No, those are not Celtics commentators. I was watching the game and the Celtics commentators might have briefly mentioned one of those incidents. Wish I could see them in slow motion.

I don’t think people should pretend Garnett is the only player who pushes, pulls, pokes, tugs, grabs and slaps. All that stuff is an art of its own.

6. acdc363 - Mar 31, 2012 at 6:54 PM

That’s my boy

7. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Mar 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM

He’s not a warrior unless he’s in the military.

8. lakerluver - Mar 31, 2012 at 9:19 PM

KG’s a fake tough guy. His bark is louder than his bite. Players from the era that was leaving the league when he came in would break him in half. Around the time he came into the league the players were becoming all “buddy buddy” with each other. Bring back the old days when certain teams hated each other and wouldn’t hesitate to go up side each others domes!!!

9. stayhigh_247 - Apr 1, 2012 at 2:26 AM

He wouldn’t have tried that with Karl Malone or even Stockton. Al Jeff needs to grow him a pair, punk ass!

10. keyshawn22 - Apr 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM

KG is the man. He sets the tone of toughness and intimidation that the Celtics have built their defense and identity off of the past 5 years. If he was such a “fake” tough guy then how come nobody has ever stepped to him??? I also read all these comments about how he only picks on little guys, well Al jefferson is no little guy.

People just want to hate on KG because he does all the little things to help his team win and get under the skin of the other team. Bottom line is he the greatest active player in the NBA and the most underrated player of the last 20 years.

• cordae - Apr 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

“If he was such a “fake” tough guy then how come nobody has ever stepped to him???”

Two words. Anthony. Peeler.

Youtube it my friend.

11. jek84 - Apr 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I hate when people say he’s fake because he’s all bark and no bite. This is basketball do you really expect him to start fighting dudes? that’s such a stupid comment. he’s trying to get under their skin and get them to act out, it’s smart basketball.

12. lawrinson20 - Apr 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Some will say “he’s competitive.” I say he’s a piece of $h1t.

If you can’t win without this kind of BS, you’re not a “winner.” This is akin to a slap fight. I’d like to see him try this against someone his size or bigger, with as retarded* an intellect. Someone who might actually punch him in the face. A Bynum, perhaps….

*As in “stunted in development”

• jek84 - Apr 1, 2012 at 7:07 PM

he’s been doing this every game for 17 years. he has done it to Bynum and It’s not like Al Jefferson plays point the dude is a natural center and a pretty good one at that.

13. 1historian - Apr 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Players like garnett, the cheerleaders, the prices, and the non-stop noise are some of the reasons that old farts like me – and I USED to go go to a lot of games when I lived in Boston in the 70s – don’t even watch the NBA on TV any more.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview