Mar 31, 2012, 2:34 AM EDT
Heat star Dwyane Wade’s nephew was one of 13 people shot — two fatally — in a violence spree in Chicago.
Wade said that he learned of what happened Thursday night and said his nephew was on his mind as he dropped 30 on the Toronto Raptors in a Heat win Friday night. From the Associated Press.
“I played for him and with him in mind,” Wade said. “I was 9 years old when he was born. I was an uncle at 9 years old. A lot of thoughts go through your mind. … My prayers go out to all the families involved, especially the one family who lost a child. My prayers go out to them. It’s tough.”
The Wade family has chosen not to release the name of the injured relative. He was in a South Side store when hooded men came in the store and shot six men, one fatally. Wade said he did not have a lot of details.
“My family tried to keep me out of it while I was playing the game,” Wade said. “So now that the game is over hopefully I can call and get a chance to talk to them.”
Wade has a foundation that works in his native Chicago to try and reduce gun violence. He and his Heat teammates also had recently shown support for the family of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed youth who was shot and killed in a community outside Orlando.
There were a series of shootings around the same time Thursday around Chicago, a city that has seen a rise of violence since the start of the year, according to reports.
Our thoughts are with the Wade family and all the families of those injured or killed in the recent rash of violence.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 0
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31