Dwyane Wade’s nephew shot in wave of violence in Chicago

Mar 31, 2012, 2:34 AM EDT

Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade poses during media day at the team's training camp in Miami Reuters

Heat star Dwyane Wade’s nephew was one of 13 people shot — two fatally — in a violence spree in Chicago.

Wade said that he learned of what happened Thursday night and said his nephew was on his mind as he dropped 30 on the Toronto Raptors in a Heat win Friday night. From the Associated Press.

“I played for him and with him in mind,” Wade said. “I was 9 years old when he was born. I was an uncle at 9 years old. A lot of thoughts go through your mind. … My prayers go out to all the families involved, especially the one family who lost a child. My prayers go out to them. It’s tough.”

The Wade family has chosen not to release the name of the injured relative. He was in a South Side store when hooded men came in the store and shot six men, one fatally. Wade said he did not have a lot of details.

“My family tried to keep me out of it while I was playing the game,” Wade said. “So now that the game is over hopefully I can call and get a chance to talk to them.”

Wade has a foundation that works in his native Chicago to try and reduce gun violence. He and his Heat teammates also had recently shown support for the family of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed youth who was shot and killed in a community outside Orlando.

There were a series of shootings around the same time Thursday around Chicago, a city that has seen a rise of violence since the start of the year, according to reports.

Our thoughts are with the Wade family and all the families of those injured or killed in the recent rash of violence.

1. asublimeday - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

You should pity the people who got hurt, not Wade.
    ————–

Agreed. And I do.

2. ezmagic - Mar 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Violent crimes can happen in anywhere, USA at anytime. It doesn’t just happen in the “hood”. The Trayvon shooting wasn’t the hood. Zimmerman is Hispanic adopted by a white family by the way……Self defense?? Who’s the one with the gun that approached the other after the police dispatcher told Zimmerman to wait for the police and not approach the “hooded” subject. I’d defend myself if someone was following me and approached me late at night. The Ignorance by some of you is sad.

3. david8726 - Mar 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM

There are some colossal jerks posting in this thread.

The guy’s nephew got shot. He deserves nothing but our sympathy at this point.

No one in this thread knows anything at all about Wade’s family situation. All the people accusing Wade of “abandoning his family” are quite frankly talking out of their @sses.

If you can’t be nice enough to wish him and his family well and leave it at that, you shouldn’t post at all.

4. philtration - Apr 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM

America is obsessed with guns and we have had idiots fanning the flames of hating your own neighbors for a long time now.
    Be afraid of other Americans and if you really don’t like them it is ok to kill them.ly

What the hell have we become?

5. stayhigh_247 - Apr 1, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Chicago, like the rest of this country is under siege. We have to somehow get the message across to these wannabe gangstas that they need to put the guns down or go join the Marines. It’s not even summer yet…

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches