Mar 30, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Stephon Marbury has a chip.
Marbury led his Beijing Ducks to a 4-1 series win over Aaron Brooks and the Guangdong Hongyuan by dropping 41 points in the fifth and final game of the championship series. Marbury was emotional (as you can see from the clip below), like a guy who was invested in a way most of us thought would not happen again for him. It was a first-ever title for the Ducks, who knocked off the four-time champions led by Aaron Brooks to earn their ring.
“This has been incredible, it has been an incredible experience,” a tearful Marbury said after winning his first major league championship. “This shows what this team is made up of, everyone stepped up and everyone played their role. We have been blessed as a team.”
After an NBA career that seemed a roller coaster, he has adopted China and the fans of his team. This clearly meant a lot to him.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 24
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14