Mar 30, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT
Stephon Marbury has a chip.
Marbury led his Beijing Ducks to a 4-1 series win over Aaron Brooks and the Guangdong Hongyuan by dropping 41 points in the fifth and final game of the championship series. Marbury was emotional (as you can see from the clip below), like a guy who was invested in a way most of us thought would not happen again for him. It was a first-ever title for the Ducks, who knocked off the four-time champions led by Aaron Brooks to earn their ring.
“This has been incredible, it has been an incredible experience,” a tearful Marbury said after winning his first major league championship. “This shows what this team is made up of, everyone stepped up and everyone played their role. We have been blessed as a team.”
After an NBA career that seemed a roller coaster, he has adopted China and the fans of his team. This clearly meant a lot to him.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 11
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 6
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 32
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2