Marbury drops 41 to lead team to Chinese basketball title

Mar 30, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT

stephon marbury china Getty Images

Stephon Marbury has a chip.

Marbury led his Beijing Ducks to a 4-1 series win over Aaron Brooks and the Guangdong Hongyuan by dropping 41 points in the fifth and final game of the championship series. Marbury was emotional (as you can see from the clip below), like a guy who was invested in a way most of us thought would not happen again for him. It was a first-ever title for the Ducks, who knocked off the four-time champions led by Aaron Brooks to earn their ring.

A title is a title and Marbury is glad to have it, as he told AFP News (via Ball Don’t Lie).

“This has been incredible, it has been an incredible experience,” a tearful Marbury said after winning his first major league championship. “This shows what this team is made up of, everyone stepped up and everyone played their role. We have been blessed as a team.”

After an NBA career that seemed a roller coaster, he has adopted China and the fans of his team. This clearly meant a lot to him.

1. eugenesaxe - Mar 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Good for him, more reason to stay over there.

2. legeisyaj - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I don’t know a single person that cares.

• adnan604 - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:32 PM

your ignorant a#@ obviously doesn’t know that just in China alone, Starbury has more fans than your average NBA superstar…

it’s a country of 1+ billion people and many of them are fanatical about their basketball and their professional teams

this site would be better without ignoramuses like you just insulting everyone’s intelligence, but then again it wouldn’t be as fun, every place needs that idiot to point and laugh at

• xLith - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I’m sorry but if “you’re” going to call someone ignorant, don’t look like an idiot doing it.

• 24thesho - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:33 AM

The NBA scots still do, trust me. He can still play.

• 24thesho - Mar 31, 2012 at 9:50 AM

“Scouts”. Dang! I don’t know what’s going on up with my spelling today.

• davidly - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:51 AM

You’re just bitter that because the Americans invested all their capital in weapons and dubious financial products, you’re gonna be a slave building widgets for the Chinese before the end of the decade. Congratulations.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

davidfly: excellent!

3. drunkenjunk - Mar 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I’m happy for him. He’s done a lot of really good things, regardless of the rap he gets.

4. adnan604 - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Also, GREAT for Starbury, seems like he found his measure of peace over there….

I may forgive but I will never forget the bs he pulled in Minnesota, I still can’t get over why he left Garnett high and dry when they were just a piece or two away from serious contention

• 24thesho - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I think he was very young, spoiled and thought he should have been paid as much as KG was by the Wolves. He was short sighted, unsophisticated, and Marbury’s family and atmosphere did not have the capacity to teach him humility and to show gratitude for his opportunities. I think this happens with a lot of young black athletes with talent who grew up in a hard setting, Allen Iverson is another notable example, I’m black, btw. Remember when Amarè Stoudemire first join the Suns? Marbury’s comparison to KG was just an example of his shortsightedness. It’s a being “the Man” complex. KG is an NBA champion and sure shot Hall Of Famer. Amarè, thus far, is just really really good and doesn’t have a ring. But Marbury is now a champion, too! I think you have to forgive people once they really grow up and display true appreciation of anything and realize they are still blessed with ability to enjoy what they do. I believed he has learned a very valuable lesson. I wish him well.

5. whodeytn - Mar 30, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I don’t know a single person that cares.
    ——-

Apparently you do, jack wagon.

6. rmfields - Mar 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Contrary to what a lot of people think, Marbury has, overall, been one of the good guys. He donated $250,000 to victims of September 11, between $500,000 and $1,000,000 to help victims of Hurricane Katrina, and $1,000,000 each to the NYPD, FDNY, EMT, and NYC Teacher’s Fund. He also endorsed “Starbury” shoes which sold for $14.98, making it affordable to most anyone and far less expensive than many other NBA stars’ shoe lines. He did not get paid to endorse the shoes, either.

• blackmike2 - Mar 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

rmfields, thanks for the info and insight you provided. odd how a person can get a public rap that doesn’t jibe with their behind the scenes behaviors.

• xLith - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The media will feed you what they want you to believe. Unfortunately they usually only feed us the bad crap.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM

They just give the negative haters fuel for their fires.

• rmfields - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, no problem. For a long time I thought the same as much of the public – that he was only looking out for himself and his paycheck. Well, looking into it, I found out he also hosted a four-day camp for underprivileged students that concluded at his house in Maryland. His Starbury Stars program provided free tickets to every Knicks home game to local youth groups. He also dished out Thanksgiving meals to the needy while his Team Marbury Charitable Foundation donated 2,000 turkey dinners.

So was he a diva on the court? Sure. But did his off-court actions more than make up for it? You bet. And you can also bet that, although we aren’t reading about it now, he’s helping out families and children in China while having the time of his life. If that’s not a feel good story, I don’t know what is.

7. detroitcityryda - Mar 31, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Money must b low for starburst show time

8. skolvikesskol - Mar 31, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Nothing will make up for what happened in mn….

9. 20dollardinners - Mar 31, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I honestly forgot he was still alive. Good for him.

10. chitownjeff - Mar 31, 2012 at 5:43 AM

those shoes were solid…my kid loved them…good for you step!!

11. davidly - Mar 31, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Nice.

Thanks, Kurt.

12. losangelasbasketball - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM

i heard the average height of centers in the china basketball league is 5 foot 11 inches…. got my plane ticket to Shanghai yesterday…. later suckers…

13. ddrew80 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Happy for Marbury. Still believe he is better than half the NBA pg’s. Get him back to the league.

14. scooper15928 - Mar 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Good for Marbury, but what I want to know is does this make Aaron Brooks a free agent? Can he come back now? Could be a good pickup for any team, although he is a restricted FA of the Suns and they probably envision him as their future PG.

15. explosionsauce - Mar 31, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Look out xlith is teaching grammar on the Internet. I’m sure he’s never allowed a grammatical mistake in his long and illustrious Internet comment board career.

How Cleveland was fit for a King