Mar 30, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT
It was, by definition, a rematch of the NBA finals from last June.
It sure didn’t feel like it. Because these are the same franchises and the same uniforms, but they are not the same teams.
The Miami Heat got a comfortable win, 106-85, playing with more energy than we have seen in recent weeks. But nothing felt much at all like we saw last June:
• LeBron James played his best game in little while (unlike last finals), finishing with 19 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Not monster numbers, but he was the best Heat player on the floor and kept the team in synch.
• Dallas got poor play from its bench — Jason Terry shredded the Heat last series but was 1-for-10 in this game.
• Last June the Heat bench was non-existent but it was the key to this win, them helping the Heat pull away in the second quarter. Udonis Haslem had 16 points in the game.
• Last year it was all about Miami’s big three, in this game there were six Heat players in double figures, led by LeBron and Chris Bosh with 19.
This wasn’t a rematch, but it showed some of where these teams are now.
The Heat had been in cruise control seemingly since the All-Star break, playing without the energy that defined them early in the season. Maybe motivated by memories of last season, maybe by trying to break their slump, maybe it was random — but they brought good energy this game. And when they do Miami is a difficult team to beat.
One bright spot for Dallas — we have had a Lamar Odom sighting. He helped spark a little push by the Mavs in the third quarter and finished with 12 points on six shots. Consistency has never been Odom’s middle name, so we will venture a prediction on what to expect next game. Dirk Nowitzki led the Mavs with 25 points. He still looked good against the Heat, but that was about it.
Bottom line — time to forget about the last finals and start focusing on the next one.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
LeBron still not as popular as prior to The Decision, though. It’s only a matter of time until he is.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers guard says initial response stemmed from his straightforward approach, confidence
Jul 30, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Collective Bargaining Agreement limits offseason charity games to United States and Canada
Jul 29, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
Union voted in Michele Roberts instead
Jul 29, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Popovich signed contract extension with Spurs this offseason
Jul 29, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
“That 2010 team was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had. I think we have a team that’s even better.” —Kevin Durant
Jul 29, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Orlando reportedly plans to send former Pistons point guard to D-League
Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
“I just tell everybody that I’m here in Oklahoma City, I love it here. Who knows what will happen.” —Kevin Durant on his 2016 free agency.
Jul 29, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
Bledsoe reportedly resents how differently Pistons, Jazz and Rockets treated their restricted free agents
Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 PM EDT
CSKA-Moscow wants to poach Scott from Atlanta Hawks
Jul 29, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Johnson gets NBA contract after eventful summer league
Jul 29, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
I’m not sure Love is taking advice from Minnesota right now
Jul 29, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
Lakers introduce Scott as new coach in press conference
Jul 29, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
Rose said he was disappointed but he understands ‘Melo’s decision.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Want to see LeBron strip down to his underwear?
Jul 29, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Lakers guard confirms he’s planning on retirement
Jul 29, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Donald Sterling isn’t going away, but he’s pretty much done as the Clippers owner now.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Yes, you read that headline correctly
Jul 29, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
The question with Cousins is never talent, but his maturity seems to be there.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Jason Kidd or Byron Scott could hire former Seattle SuperSonic
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29