Mar 30, 2012, 12:11 AM EST
It was, by definition, a rematch of the NBA finals from last June.
It sure didn’t feel like it. Because these are the same franchises and the same uniforms, but they are not the same teams.
The Miami Heat got a comfortable win, 106-85, playing with more energy than we have seen in recent weeks. But nothing felt much at all like we saw last June:
• LeBron James played his best game in little while (unlike last finals), finishing with 19 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Not monster numbers, but he was the best Heat player on the floor and kept the team in synch.
• Dallas got poor play from its bench — Jason Terry shredded the Heat last series but was 1-for-10 in this game.
• Last June the Heat bench was non-existent but it was the key to this win, them helping the Heat pull away in the second quarter. Udonis Haslem had 16 points in the game.
• Last year it was all about Miami’s big three, in this game there were six Heat players in double figures, led by LeBron and Chris Bosh with 19.
This wasn’t a rematch, but it showed some of where these teams are now.
The Heat had been in cruise control seemingly since the All-Star break, playing without the energy that defined them early in the season. Maybe motivated by memories of last season, maybe by trying to break their slump, maybe it was random — but they brought good energy this game. And when they do Miami is a difficult team to beat.
One bright spot for Dallas — we have had a Lamar Odom sighting. He helped spark a little push by the Mavs in the third quarter and finished with 12 points on six shots. Consistency has never been Odom’s middle name, so we will venture a prediction on what to expect next game. Dirk Nowitzki led the Mavs with 25 points. He still looked good against the Heat, but that was about it.
Bottom line — time to forget about the last finals and start focusing on the next one.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
They don’t want to give up picks.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Spurs star made same clutch shot a decade ago against Lakers
Dec 18, 2014, 4:05 PM EST
Down goes Rocky, down goes Rocky
Dec 18, 2014, 3:40 PM EST
Trail Blazers guard just waiting to check into game, when his personal space gets violated
Dec 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EST
The Warriors are +15.8 per 100 when he is on the court. They will miss him.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:03 PM EST
Celtics forward shows up Magic
Dec 18, 2014, 2:28 PM EST
Updated with Lakers’ reported offer
Dec 18, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Trade talks for Celtics point guard heating up
Dec 18, 2014, 12:55 PM EST
Where does this rank among LeBron’s most-lopsided losses?
Dec 18, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
It would be very difficult for the Clippers to find a deal Minnesota would like.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM EST
Plenty of photos and a recap of this week’s launch event from Jordan Brand’s Terminal 23 space in NYC.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:13 AM EST
This would shake up the balance of power in the West.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:21 AM EST
It’s is the ninja turtle time of year.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
He turned the table on the Clippers and dunked on them.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Don’t worry. He still got off a jumper (which he missed)
Dec 18, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
James Harden and Dwyane Wade broke the 40 point barrier.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:31 AM EST
Another fine defensive moment from James Harden.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:54 AM EST
I can’t wait until the Western Conference playoffs.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST
He walked off under his own power but did not return.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Rockets, Kings and Knicks also reportedly inquiring about Celtics point guard
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 5
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 8
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 18
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13