Mar 30, 2012, 9:53 AM EDT
Miami is becoming the team where veterans who are willing to play for less want to go to win a ring.
You can add Dallas’ Jason Terry to the list.
The Mavericks’ second leading scorer is a free agent this summer — he didn’t get a contract extension as part of Dallas’ effort to free up cap space this summer to go after a big free agent such as Deron Williams. That frustrated Terry, the former Sixth Man of the Year, and he will consider all his options this summer. Including the Heat, he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“Miami is definitely a title contender. For sure,” Terry told FOX Sports Florida before Dallas’ 106-85 loss at AmericanAirlines Arena about his interest. “(Team president) Pat Riley is a great guy and what he’s done with the organization is tremendous.
“No question, they need a veteran shooter, a guy who can score besides LeBron (James) and (Dwyane Wade), and they know they can count on. I’m a guy that’s been in this league 13 years, (averaging) 15 points a night, easy. Off the bench or the starting lineup, it doesn’t matter. So I think I’d be an asset to them.”
If Thursday was Terry’s job interview it didn’t go well, he was 1-for-10 shooting in the loss.
Because it has LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, Shane Battier, Mike Miller, Udonis Haslem and others already under contract the Heat cannot off much money to free agents. Basically the mini mid-level and some veteran minimum contracts.
But if Nash or Terry wants to go to a contender, the Heat will have room on the roster. And adding a veteran like Terry — who in a lot of ways is a better fit than Nash in Miami — could make the Heat even deeper and more dangerous next season.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 5
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48