Andray Blatche’s mom says her son’s problem is himself

Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT

DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors shot is blocked by Washington Wizards' Blatche during their NBA game in Washington Reuters

Tough love.

Andray Blatche’s mom loves her son, and it cannot be easy for any parent to hear their child get booed by 15,000 people (or however many actually show up for Wizards games now days). Especially when she knows her son tends to respond better to positive reinforcement than negative.

Blatche told the Washington Post that his mom — a regular at the Verizon Center — gave him some tough love (via SLAM).

“She said, ‘They’re booing you because they know the potential that you have, the type of player that you can be,’” Blatche said. “She feels like I’m not doing everything I can do to be that player and I need to work harder and stay more focused. She said it’s no one’s fault but my own. It hurt a little, but sometimes you need the truth…”

“She just told me, ‘Just remember what got you where you at. Go back to being a humble kid and loving person you was. All the hard work you put in when you was in high school to get to the league, become that person again,’” Blatche said. “That’s why I be in the gym so late. When I was younger I played basketball every minute I get, every chance I got. That’s why I be in the gym so late now.”

Blatche has a world of potential but his mental focus and passion have always been the question marks. This season he is scoring half the points he did last season and is shooting just 38 percent on the year. He was recently benched to give him time to improve his conditioning. All of those are things only Blatche himself can ultimately change — not a coach, not a trade, not anything but the man himself.

But maybe a little tough love from his mom can help that along.

“Yes, he is wounded by this and probably very much disappointed,” (Blatche’s mother) Angela said. “But he will fight through this and he will definitely get over this.”

1. bushido49ers - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I really like his mom. Tough minded lady.

2. totallyuselessme - Mar 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Well said. Well said. I hope the kid picks his head up and listens to momma. She’s absolutely right.

3. cured76 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Good to see a parent not being one of the people feeding into an athlete’s ego. There’s enough of those people from HS up to the pros who tell blue chippers how wonderful and perfect they are.

4. thebigkahuna23 - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

He needed it because I really don’t think he would have believed it from anybody else. He could be one of the 5 best power forwards in the league. These adjustments are things that can be fixed in one season.

• moseskkim - Mar 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM

He cannot be 5 best pfs. He could be a quality borderline allstar at his peak. Klove. Aldridge, griffin, pau, j smoove, nowitzki are at the top. U could even throw in dlee, millsap. So potential I agree with. Top 5 heck no

5. stayhigh_247 - Mar 30, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You cant get over being wack. Dude is a scrub, how people are just noticing this is amazing, fire the gm that signed him!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches