Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
Andray Blatche’s mom loves her son, and it cannot be easy for any parent to hear their child get booed by 15,000 people (or however many actually show up for Wizards games now days). Especially when she knows her son tends to respond better to positive reinforcement than negative.
“She said, ‘They’re booing you because they know the potential that you have, the type of player that you can be,’” Blatche said. “She feels like I’m not doing everything I can do to be that player and I need to work harder and stay more focused. She said it’s no one’s fault but my own. It hurt a little, but sometimes you need the truth…”
“She just told me, ‘Just remember what got you where you at. Go back to being a humble kid and loving person you was. All the hard work you put in when you was in high school to get to the league, become that person again,’” Blatche said. “That’s why I be in the gym so late. When I was younger I played basketball every minute I get, every chance I got. That’s why I be in the gym so late now.”
Blatche has a world of potential but his mental focus and passion have always been the question marks. This season he is scoring half the points he did last season and is shooting just 38 percent on the year. He was recently benched to give him time to improve his conditioning. All of those are things only Blatche himself can ultimately change — not a coach, not a trade, not anything but the man himself.
But maybe a little tough love from his mom can help that along.
“Yes, he is wounded by this and probably very much disappointed,” (Blatche’s mother) Angela said. “But he will fight through this and he will definitely get over this.”
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 8
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11