Mar 29, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
This summer the courting of free agent Steve Nash is going to get out of control.
He could well end up deciding to play for the Suns, but first pretty much every contending team — whether they can afford to bring him in or not — will be linked to him. If not outright reach out to him and court him.
That includes the Miami Heat. They have some nice young point guards in Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole, but they don’t have Steve Nash. (Although to they need Steve Nash since LeBron James and Dwyane Wade handle the ball so much?) For his part Nash said on the Dan Patrick show Thursday that he would certainly listen to an offer from the Heat.
“I’d listen. (James) is phenomenal. I love what they’re doing there. A lot of people don’t like them because they put all that talent together. But they’re professional, they play hard, they play together. Their coaching staff has done a great job. So, I have a tremendous amount of respect for them, and I would definitely listen.”
Nash said that he might come back to the Suns this summer, but only if they show improvement and start to look like a team that can contend. Nash wants a ring. He tried to sound non-committal but it came off a lot like he was going to listen to offers and see if there is a contender where he can fit.
Like the Heat. Maybe they talk, but Heat would not be able to offer much of anything thanks to the stars they have (and Mike Miller). Miami already has $78 million committed for next year (the cap will be about $58 million and the luxury tax will be about $70 million). They could offer Nash mini mid-level type money, which is all a lot of teams will be able to offer. The Suns can offer a lot more.
The decision will be Nash’s — more money to stay where he is or play for much less to have a serious shot at a ring. I have no idea which way he will lean, but Nash said to Dan Patrick that free agency with him will be more interesting than the trade deadline. Of that much we are certain.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 25
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 29
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4