Mar 29, 2012, 3:29 PM EST
But come this summer he may need surgery after all, reports the New York Post.
It is a possibility he will need surgery in the offseason to avoid this from becoming a continuing problem, according to sources.
(The current plan of treatment) is a temporary solution, though surgery would cause him to miss the playoffs, too. Wellington Hsu, an orthopedic surgeon and spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, said the injection will reduce inflammation around the nerve root — not the bulging disk itself.
“Even temporary relief from such an injection is enough for the player to return to the court,’’ Hsu said.
I’m far from convinced Stoudemire will be back for the playoffs, but even if he does return what kind of impact is he really going to have? After weeks off, playing through a back that is not really better just numbed? The Knicks need to prepare for the playoffs as if they will get nothing from Stoudemire, that way anything they do get is a bonus.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 0
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 1
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 16
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 42
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 7
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45