Mar 29, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
But come this summer he may need surgery after all, reports the New York Post.
It is a possibility he will need surgery in the offseason to avoid this from becoming a continuing problem, according to sources.
(The current plan of treatment) is a temporary solution, though surgery would cause him to miss the playoffs, too. Wellington Hsu, an orthopedic surgeon and spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, said the injection will reduce inflammation around the nerve root — not the bulging disk itself.
“Even temporary relief from such an injection is enough for the player to return to the court,’’ Hsu said.
I’m far from convinced Stoudemire will be back for the playoffs, but even if he does return what kind of impact is he really going to have? After weeks off, playing through a back that is not really better just numbed? The Knicks need to prepare for the playoffs as if they will get nothing from Stoudemire, that way anything they do get is a bonus.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27