Mar 29, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
But come this summer he may need surgery after all, reports the New York Post.
It is a possibility he will need surgery in the offseason to avoid this from becoming a continuing problem, according to sources.
(The current plan of treatment) is a temporary solution, though surgery would cause him to miss the playoffs, too. Wellington Hsu, an orthopedic surgeon and spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, said the injection will reduce inflammation around the nerve root — not the bulging disk itself.
“Even temporary relief from such an injection is enough for the player to return to the court,’’ Hsu said.
I’m far from convinced Stoudemire will be back for the playoffs, but even if he does return what kind of impact is he really going to have? After weeks off, playing through a back that is not really better just numbed? The Knicks need to prepare for the playoffs as if they will get nothing from Stoudemire, that way anything they do get is a bonus.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16