Mar 29, 2012, 3:29 PM EDT
But come this summer he may need surgery after all, reports the New York Post.
It is a possibility he will need surgery in the offseason to avoid this from becoming a continuing problem, according to sources.
(The current plan of treatment) is a temporary solution, though surgery would cause him to miss the playoffs, too. Wellington Hsu, an orthopedic surgeon and spokesman for the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, said the injection will reduce inflammation around the nerve root — not the bulging disk itself.
“Even temporary relief from such an injection is enough for the player to return to the court,’’ Hsu said.
I’m far from convinced Stoudemire will be back for the playoffs, but even if he does return what kind of impact is he really going to have? After weeks off, playing through a back that is not really better just numbed? The Knicks need to prepare for the playoffs as if they will get nothing from Stoudemire, that way anything they do get is a bonus.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 11
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29