Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Last night against the Bobcats, Kevin Love dropped 40 points and grabbed 19 rebounds.
A good night by anyone’s standards, but for Love that was just his third highest total this month. Those kinds of numbers are almost becoming routine — he’s had nine straight double-doubles and had more than 20 points in 14 of his last 15 games.
The arguments made last year by some that “he is just putting up good numbers because his team is so bad” look foolish now. The Wolves added Nikola Pekovic to the front line — a powerful rebounder — and Love is still pulling them down at eye-popping numbers. (That argument always was a bit foolish because opposing teams could focus on him before, now they have someone else to occupy them as well.)
Since the All-Star Game the Timberwolves forward has been tearing up the league. He is in full beast mode. We need to appreciate what is going on here.
In his last 10 games he is averaging 30.5 points and 14.3 rebounds per game. Averaging. He is shooting 45.5 percent from three during that stretch. He is getting four offensive rebounds a contest.
Love’s offense comes from a variety of ways — 22 percent of his opportunities come with him in the post, but he is scoring well as a spot up guy at the arc (he is shooting 38.6 percent in that mold) or as the big in the pick-and-roll this season (he misses Ricky Rubio there). Not to mention all those offensive rebounds. (Stats via MySynergySports.com.)
Love’s name has even started to pop up in some MVP conversations, although he told the Washington Post he’s not buying into that.
As for all of the MVP talk, Love said, “In some ways it’s warranted, but we need to win a lot more games in order to be anywhere close to that.”
He’s right, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t appreciate what is going on here. Love is on an epic tear. It’s easy to forget about the Timberwolves, but we should be watching. He is something special.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron his shots despite good Celtics defense 0
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 15
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 65