PBT Extra: Talking Lakers, end of season awards (as of now)

Mar 28, 2012, 11:47 PM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

What you see is the latest edition of PBT Extra, which covers the Knicks (as of the time of taping earlier on Wednesday), the troubles with Andrew Bynum and the Lakers, plus where I stand now on end of season awards.

Some of those awards are all but wrapped up — we’re looking at you, Kyrie Irving — but some are interesting races. Like LeBron James and Kevin Durant for MVP. Feel free to tell me where I am wrong in the comments below.

1. laughsatyou - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Really can’t see you making a case for Lebron at this point over Durant . Durant is playing the best ball in the league he deserves it. Also Tony Allen has to be in the conversation for defensive player of the year . I watched enough Memphis games to see what a force he can be on the defensive end. He probably won’t win because its a popularity contest but he at least deserves a mention.

• mytthor - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM

I can’t argue with Durant, but you can’t see the case for LeBron? How about 1 less ppg, 3 more assists per game, another .5 steals, and being one of the best defenders in the league? Both are top teams, so you can’t make an argument about record.

2. mlblogsbig3bosox - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM

“Feel free to tell me where I am wrong in the comments below.”

Don’t worry.. We always do.

3. Justin - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:50 AM

If Wolves do make the playoffs Kevin Love has to be in the conversation for MVP. He is putting up just silly numbers right now. If they are on the outside looking in I understand leaving him out.

And you need James Harden’s name for 6th man of the year. He is playing great for a team in 1st place. Philadelphia could realistically go on a losing streak and fall to the 7 or 8 seed.

4. mlblogsbig3bosox - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Lou Williams for 6th man of the year?? No love for Harden?? Smh..

5. drunkenjunk - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Tony Allen and Shawn Marion should get considerations for Defensive player of the year.

6. Hope Wabuke - Mar 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Kobe Bryant!

7. allfour851 - Mar 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM

If the Timberwolves record does not allow Love to be the MVP he should at the very least get back to back most improved. He has turned into that “go to guy” in the fourth quarter and a total team leader.

8. 00maltliquor - Mar 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I don’t know how you don’t mention James Harden’s beard as 6th man of the year. Lou Williams is right behind him, but you got to give it up to Harden…unless your looking at who’s more important to the team and winning, then the Sixers need Williams off that bench more then the Thunder need Harden. OK, with that said, I guess I see your point. Harden is just having a better year, Williams is just slightly more vital to his team.

C.O.Y. is a tough one, and I wouldn’t be offended if Thibbs got it again. But Pop’ deserves it soooo bad with that record and being 2nd in the wild wild west with that YMCA squad he keeps putting out there. Every year I keep thinking that the Spurs will finally fall off, but yet not only are they in the playoffs, they are one of the 5 best teams in the L.
    Doug Collins deserves a shout out. Former C.O.Y. Scott Brooks needs to at least get a wink. Ty Corbin out in Utah gets a hearty handshake and a pat on the back for keeping Utah afloat when they should have drowned to the bottom level of the NBA somewhere between 24th-30th.

9. juanandonly24 - Mar 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Kurt, I’m SO glad you mentioned Pop. They’ve done as well with injury adjustments as the Bulls have, and it’s not like they had a Derrick Rose-type player to begin with.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches