Mar 28, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
It’s going to come up a lot the next couple days — Thursday night the Dallas Mavericks will take on the Miami Heat in Miami. That’s the place last June they won the NBA title.
Dirk Nowitzki spent the summer celebrating that win, to the point he showed up to camp out of shape. The entire Mavericks organization seemed to have a championship hangover and is just now starting to hit their stride (save that Lamar Odom situations).
Now heading into Miami, Nowitzki told the Dallas Morning News’ Mavs blog he thinks they’ve celebrated enough.
“I don’t want to dwell too much on the past,” Nowitzki said. “We feel like we’ve been celebrating all season. We didn’t get our ring on time, then we celebrated the banner, we celebrated the rings and every other day a player (former teammate) came in here getting a ring. So we’ve been celebrating a lot this year. We want to kind of put it behind us and move forward and hopefully have a good playoff run here.
“Yeah, it’ll be nice to go back to the scene of the crime, but we’ve got to move on and we’ve got to win a ballgame.”
For Dallas to make a deep playoff run just about everything has to go right for them… which come to think of it is exactly what we were all saying last year. Still, without Tyson Chandler in the paint I don’t think they are the same team. But I’m also not going to say anything is certain in the West — once you get past Oklahoma City the field opens up. And Dallas can’t be overlooked.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8