Mar 28, 2012, 11:36 AM EST
It’s going to come up a lot the next couple days — Thursday night the Dallas Mavericks will take on the Miami Heat in Miami. That’s the place last June they won the NBA title.
Dirk Nowitzki spent the summer celebrating that win, to the point he showed up to camp out of shape. The entire Mavericks organization seemed to have a championship hangover and is just now starting to hit their stride (save that Lamar Odom situations).
Now heading into Miami, Nowitzki told the Dallas Morning News’ Mavs blog he thinks they’ve celebrated enough.
“I don’t want to dwell too much on the past,” Nowitzki said. “We feel like we’ve been celebrating all season. We didn’t get our ring on time, then we celebrated the banner, we celebrated the rings and every other day a player (former teammate) came in here getting a ring. So we’ve been celebrating a lot this year. We want to kind of put it behind us and move forward and hopefully have a good playoff run here.
“Yeah, it’ll be nice to go back to the scene of the crime, but we’ve got to move on and we’ve got to win a ballgame.”
For Dallas to make a deep playoff run just about everything has to go right for them… which come to think of it is exactly what we were all saying last year. Still, without Tyson Chandler in the paint I don’t think they are the same team. But I’m also not going to say anything is certain in the West — once you get past Oklahoma City the field opens up. And Dallas can’t be overlooked.
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 0
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 1
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 21
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (56)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)