Mar 28, 2012, 10:33 AM EDT
Other reports out of New York suggest leaning toward the long-end of that scale, which means he basically will be back for the playoffs. Until then it’s Carmelo Anthony’s job to make sure they make it there.
It has also been announced that Jeremy Lin will be out for the Knicks Wednesday night when the team takes on the Orlando Magic due to a sore knee. Anthony is listed as questionable due to a groin strain but said Tuesday he would play.
Stoudemire flew to Miami for a second opinion on the bulging disc in his back and both doctors recommended not having surgery, the Knicks reported. He will have a variety of treatments on it, including and epidural.
If Stoudemire is out until the playoffs, all the pressure of getting this team to the playoffs (and maybe chasing the Sixers and Celtics for the Atlantic division crown) falls to Carmelo Anthony. Fair or not. He is the guy James Dolan brought in at great expense (in terms of players given up) to be the face of the franchise. To be the man. Now he has to be.
Although the real key for the Knicks is for them to keep playing defense like they have since Woodson took over.
Then they can get Stoudemire back for the playoffs and try to re-integrate a key piece for the post season. That will be a whole new set of issues. But one bridge at a time for the Knicks.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 25
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 31
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42