Mar 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Most parents are not thrilled when their child decides to drop out of Duke.
Doc Rivers is the exception.
Doc Rivers said on Wednesday that Austin was recruited as a “one-and-done” player by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. Still, Doc Rivers says Austin almost stayed because he liked Coach K. so much.
Really? Not sure anyone got the impression Rivers was staying a second year, but it’s a nice story to tell.
As for the Celtics drafting Rivers, it’s possible. Boston has two first round picks, its own and the Clippers, both should be in the late teens to early 20s. Right now DraftExpress has Rivers going No. 17. All of that will change as we move through workouts but it is possible. Rivers said he would not pressure Ainge to pick his son — which is probably best for Rivers as Boston has a point guard of the future right now who gets the lion’s share of minutes. (Boston should draft the best player available, not worry about position, but that’s another discussion.)
- Timberwolves’ coach Rick Adelman announcenes retirement 7
- Knicks fire Mike Woodson 29
- Monday NBA playoff previews: Expect a different looking Clippers/Warriors game. 1
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 5
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 17