Mar 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Most parents are not thrilled when their child decides to drop out of Duke.
Doc Rivers is the exception.
Doc Rivers said on Wednesday that Austin was recruited as a “one-and-done” player by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. Still, Doc Rivers says Austin almost stayed because he liked Coach K. so much.
Really? Not sure anyone got the impression Rivers was staying a second year, but it’s a nice story to tell.
As for the Celtics drafting Rivers, it’s possible. Boston has two first round picks, its own and the Clippers, both should be in the late teens to early 20s. Right now DraftExpress has Rivers going No. 17. All of that will change as we move through workouts but it is possible. Rivers said he would not pressure Ainge to pick his son — which is probably best for Rivers as Boston has a point guard of the future right now who gets the lion’s share of minutes. (Boston should draft the best player available, not worry about position, but that’s another discussion.)
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 3
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 2
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 7