Mar 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
Most parents are not thrilled when their child decides to drop out of Duke.
Doc Rivers is the exception.
Doc Rivers said on Wednesday that Austin was recruited as a “one-and-done” player by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. Still, Doc Rivers says Austin almost stayed because he liked Coach K. so much.
Really? Not sure anyone got the impression Rivers was staying a second year, but it’s a nice story to tell.
As for the Celtics drafting Rivers, it’s possible. Boston has two first round picks, its own and the Clippers, both should be in the late teens to early 20s. Right now DraftExpress has Rivers going No. 17. All of that will change as we move through workouts but it is possible. Rivers said he would not pressure Ainge to pick his son — which is probably best for Rivers as Boston has a point guard of the future right now who gets the lion’s share of minutes. (Boston should draft the best player available, not worry about position, but that’s another discussion.)
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 4
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 10
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 4
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 13
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 14
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (37)