Mar 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Most parents are not thrilled when their child decides to drop out of Duke.
Doc Rivers is the exception.
Doc Rivers said on Wednesday that Austin was recruited as a “one-and-done” player by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. Still, Doc Rivers says Austin almost stayed because he liked Coach K. so much.
Really? Not sure anyone got the impression Rivers was staying a second year, but it’s a nice story to tell.
As for the Celtics drafting Rivers, it’s possible. Boston has two first round picks, its own and the Clippers, both should be in the late teens to early 20s. Right now DraftExpress has Rivers going No. 17. All of that will change as we move through workouts but it is possible. Rivers said he would not pressure Ainge to pick his son — which is probably best for Rivers as Boston has a point guard of the future right now who gets the lion’s share of minutes. (Boston should draft the best player available, not worry about position, but that’s another discussion.)
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50