Mar 28, 2012, 8:30 PM EDT
Most parents are not thrilled when their child decides to drop out of Duke.
Doc Rivers is the exception.
Doc Rivers said on Wednesday that Austin was recruited as a “one-and-done” player by Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski. Still, Doc Rivers says Austin almost stayed because he liked Coach K. so much.
Really? Not sure anyone got the impression Rivers was staying a second year, but it’s a nice story to tell.
As for the Celtics drafting Rivers, it’s possible. Boston has two first round picks, its own and the Clippers, both should be in the late teens to early 20s. Right now DraftExpress has Rivers going No. 17. All of that will change as we move through workouts but it is possible. Rivers said he would not pressure Ainge to pick his son — which is probably best for Rivers as Boston has a point guard of the future right now who gets the lion’s share of minutes. (Boston should draft the best player available, not worry about position, but that’s another discussion.)
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 14
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 5
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 12
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 10
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 52