Mar 27, 2012, 5:05 PM EST
We fans of the game tend to put a lot more importance on what a potential NBA draftee does in the NCAA Tournament than NBA teams do. By the time a player reaches that late in the season, scouts have their impressions and perceptions of a player they have seen a lot and another game or three isn’t going to move the needle much one way or the other. Private workouts will move guys up and down a lot faster than another college game.
That said, we’d like to know what some college basketball experts are thinking about the potential draftees left in the Final Four.
The guys over at our sister blog CollegeBasketballTalk (or is that brother blog? Not sure how one determines the gender of a blog) watched a lot more of these players than I have had the chance to do. Raphielle Johnson posted his thoughts on a number of players, something you should go read all of. Go ahead, we’ll wait. But if you’re impatient here are a few highlights.
NBA success: Thomas Robinson [Kansas] (may be undersized for an NBA ’4′ but he’s got a motor and athleticism that would more than make up for that; he’ll be a lottery pick this summer)
NBA success: Anthony Davis [Kentucky] (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist would also qualify here; no school has ever had the top two picks in the draft and that’s possible should these two enter the same year)
NBA bust: Terrence Jones [Kentucky] (Jones put together one of his best all-around games of the season against Baylor but consistency is the issue here; he’ll be a lottery pick but what happens after that would be up to him)
NBA success: Jared Sullinger [Ohio State (Sullinger can be successful in the NBA and that’s the expectation here; as his body matures Sullinger will fit into the role of an NBA ’4′ and it’s important to keep in mind that he’s still playing out of position at the ’5′)
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 12
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)