Mar 27, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
Dwight Howard is still the guy at the top of the Nets most wanted list.
But he is not going to be there when the Nets start playing in Brooklyn next season, so the Nets are looking at some other potential free agents who could pair well with Deron Williams — who they are desperately trying to keep.
According to multiple sources, the Nets – who will have roughly $8 million to work with this summer after renouncing the rights to Kris Humphries — are targeting power forwards Kevin Garnett (restricted) and Ersan Ilyasova (unrestricted) in free agency.
Garnett says he wants to retire a Celtic. They may well bring him back. I think if the right offer from a team where he could win another ring came along, he could change his mind. That team is not the Nets, however.
Ilyasova however would be a better fit next to Williams (if they can keep D-Will from bolting to Dallas, which is another issue). Ilyasova can stretch the floor (shooting 40 percent from three this season) and is very effective as a spot up shooter and working off the ball as a cutter. He’s not as effective as you think as the roll man (shooting 33 percent in that position, according to MySynergySports) but he can get you some offensive rebounds. He’s pretty good on the glass in general. Oh, and he’s 11 years younger than Garnett.
Ilyasova is going to be a nice pickup by somebody this summer. For the Nets? Well, they need to do something because they traded their pick (top 3 protected) to Portland for Gerald Wallace.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 5
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 32
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 81
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19