Mar 27, 2012, 6:37 PM EST
Dwight Howard is still the guy at the top of the Nets most wanted list.
But he is not going to be there when the Nets start playing in Brooklyn next season, so the Nets are looking at some other potential free agents who could pair well with Deron Williams — who they are desperately trying to keep.
According to multiple sources, the Nets – who will have roughly $8 million to work with this summer after renouncing the rights to Kris Humphries — are targeting power forwards Kevin Garnett (restricted) and Ersan Ilyasova (unrestricted) in free agency.
Garnett says he wants to retire a Celtic. They may well bring him back. I think if the right offer from a team where he could win another ring came along, he could change his mind. That team is not the Nets, however.
Ilyasova however would be a better fit next to Williams (if they can keep D-Will from bolting to Dallas, which is another issue). Ilyasova can stretch the floor (shooting 40 percent from three this season) and is very effective as a spot up shooter and working off the ball as a cutter. He’s not as effective as you think as the roll man (shooting 33 percent in that position, according to MySynergySports) but he can get you some offensive rebounds. He’s pretty good on the glass in general. Oh, and he’s 11 years younger than Garnett.
Ilyasova is going to be a nice pickup by somebody this summer. For the Nets? Well, they need to do something because they traded their pick (top 3 protected) to Portland for Gerald Wallace.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)