Mar 27, 2012, 4:10 PM EST
“I mean, everybody’s on their feet, standing ovation and the whole thing and then a guy in the crowd next to me sitting baseline said everybody gets a free pizza, so I guess that was exciting. That was the loudest the crowd was all night. They were into that. That was a big basket by Ed Davis. They’re going to put that on the highlight film at the end of the year. I was like, ‘Wow, what happened, I thought they had like an 18-point play and tied the game or something.”
At that point, Van Gundy was informed the fans did not get an entire pizza; just a slice.
“Really? We got a standing ovation for a slice? They told me they got a free pizza. A slice? A slice you have to sit in your seat and clap; you can’t stand up on a slice, that’s bad etiquette.”
—Stan Van Gundy, discussing the eruption of fans in Toronto on a what seemed a meaningless basket at the end of Orlando’s blowout win in over the Raptors Monday, but a basket that gave the Raptors 100 points so everyone at the game a coupon for a free slice of pizza from the chain Pizza Pizza. Via the fantastic Eric Koreen at the National Post.
This trend seemed to start with Lakers fans chanting “we want tacos” as part of a promotion (although why anybody actually would want those greasy Jack in the Box tacos is beyond me) and now similar food promotions are pretty much league wide. It confuses players and sometimes coaches sometimes. Which is usually pretty funny and leads to fans getting into meaningless scores at the end of games like degenerate gamblers.
And Zach Lowe is right, Stan Van Gundy is a national treasure.
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 22
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23