Mar 27, 2012, 4:10 PM EDT
“I mean, everybody’s on their feet, standing ovation and the whole thing and then a guy in the crowd next to me sitting baseline said everybody gets a free pizza, so I guess that was exciting. That was the loudest the crowd was all night. They were into that. That was a big basket by Ed Davis. They’re going to put that on the highlight film at the end of the year. I was like, ‘Wow, what happened, I thought they had like an 18-point play and tied the game or something.”
At that point, Van Gundy was informed the fans did not get an entire pizza; just a slice.
“Really? We got a standing ovation for a slice? They told me they got a free pizza. A slice? A slice you have to sit in your seat and clap; you can’t stand up on a slice, that’s bad etiquette.”
—Stan Van Gundy, discussing the eruption of fans in Toronto on a what seemed a meaningless basket at the end of Orlando’s blowout win in over the Raptors Monday, but a basket that gave the Raptors 100 points so everyone at the game a coupon for a free slice of pizza from the chain Pizza Pizza. Via the fantastic Eric Koreen at the National Post.
This trend seemed to start with Lakers fans chanting “we want tacos” as part of a promotion (although why anybody actually would want those greasy Jack in the Box tacos is beyond me) and now similar food promotions are pretty much league wide. It confuses players and sometimes coaches sometimes. Which is usually pretty funny and leads to fans getting into meaningless scores at the end of games like degenerate gamblers.
And Zach Lowe is right, Stan Van Gundy is a national treasure.
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 26
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 38
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 9
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 61
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2