Odom says he is confused, hurt by boos in Dallas

Mar 27, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT

Lamar Odom AP

For years, Lamar Odom seemed to torment Dallas they way he did many opposing teams — there is no more versatile big man in the game, a guy who can grab the rebound and lead the fast break himself. He can play in the post or drain threes. He’s a matchup nightmare.

Then he has gotten to Dallas after a preseason trade and had his worst season as a pro. For a variety of reasons — he came into camp out of shape and after a rough personal offseason his game has never gotten on track. He is averaging a career low 6.8 points per game on 34 percent shooting. He went from a PER of 19.4 last year and being Sixth Man of the Year to 8.9 this year.

And Mavericks fans are letting him hear it. He is getting booed. He will again Tuesday night when the Mavericks host the Rockets.

Odom said Monday that he is hurt by this, as reported by the Mavs blog at the Dallas Morning News.

“I’ve always had a lot of pride to play for the name on the back of my jersey. I’ve always been more prideful to play for the name that’s on the front of my jersey — whether it be USA or whether it be the Mavericks or the other team I came from. I always had a lot of pride.

“So it was a little confusing and a little hurtful, but it’s the sport world. I understand. We’re in a business that it’s all about what have you done lately, or the last game or the next game?”

Odom is a different cat from your average NBA player. He’s seen a lot more, been through a lot more. He’s not the best at compartmentalizing his life — what happens off the court impacts him on it — but he sees the bigger picture and that’s why he said he doesn’t get angry at the fans for the boos.

“I would say confused. I wouldn’t say angry, because there are a lot of sides to Lamar Odom, know what I mean? Sportsman is one of them. I’m a father, a husband, someone’s son, someone’s cousin. So there’s a lot of roles that I have to play in life. Basketball is just one of them. So I can’t let it get me angry because I have a lot of other roles to fulfill.”

Mavs fans can boo if they want. If it makes them feel better. But if they are going to have any chance at another deep playoff run, they are going to need to old Lamar Odom to show up.

1. cakemixa - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:31 PM

And here is our weekly story showcasing how soft Odom is. Poor guy, gets paid millions and has to deal with fans booing his crappy performance! Oh, the humanity!

2. tilllman40 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Softer than this article

3. 24secure - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’m conflicted by this. Part of me sees other athletes and they clearly aren’t as affected by the fans’ response as Odom is. I want to say that Odom needs to grow up and toughen up.

But the other part of me knows how I feel when I know one person doesn’t like me. I probably couldn’t imagine how I’d feel with thousands of people not wanting me to do my job.

• cinnalocks - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM

24secure……you have it confused. Thousands want him to do the job… he is being paid millions to do. The fact is he is doing a poor job and that is why they are booing.

The proof is that when and if he starts to do his job those same folks will cheer him. When you pay upwards of $100 night for a ticket parking and refreshment and that is a low ball figure, you have every right to boo a guy who only plays basketball and makes millions a figure most of us will never know.

4. gotampabay52 - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Go kiss ur ugly wife

5. lakerryan - Mar 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Glad he’s gone from LA. In this business you have to be tough D Fish got traded and look at him. I feel sorry for odom and he makes more money in a year than I will in my life time

• loungefly74 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM

i dont know man…i would love to still have LO with the Lakers. the bench is definitely missing him…

• cinnalocks - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

not like he is playing this year…..not to say he cannot recover but he is not a spring chicken and he obviously has some head issues. It may be time to retire. He has had a good run, nothing to be ashamed about. Maybe he has no more basketball in him.

• loungefly74 - Mar 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

and you could be absolutely right. maybe he needs to hang it up. in the grand scheme of things, he ended up getting some redemption and had a good career.

i’m just playing the game of “what if”. but yeah, i thought if LO never left he would be in better shape…physically and mentally.

6. boilerup1869 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Soft

• cinnalocks - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Lamar is not soft. You do not win Championships if you are soft, Dirk showed us that. Nor will you be a team mate of Kobe long if you are soft. You cannot average a double double in the N.B.A and be soft. So lets discount that message. Disconnected is a better more descript term. He is just not always there.

7. havlicekstoletheball - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:17 PM

“been through a lot more”?

He will be handed $135,000 a GAME, whether he plays well or not, or whether he even plays or not. He is married to a model and has his own TV show.

And he is hurt because they boo him when he stinks?

• 20dollardinners - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I agree completely… except the “married to a model” part. She may be famous – but she is no model.

8. eugenesaxe - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The boos stop once you stop being a useless whiny hump.

9. trbowman - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I’d boo him on a nightly basis just for marrying a Kardashian

10. drunkenjunk - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Screw him, I’ve tried being understanding of all his whiny crap but enough is enough. Why don’t you look like you give a damn and maybe but some time in the gym before or after games? This guy thinks his life is tough, F$%^ him. Why don’t you go spend some time in Afghanistan, see your friends get blown up and go back to work the next day? Whiny little bitch.

• md23rewlz - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Ah yes, the GO TO WAR AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE LIFE THEN point of view. Always one of my favorites. I don’t understand the way people think. You can make a lot of money and still be unhappy. You can make next to no money and be happy. It’s not like if you make $_______ then you suddenly are not allowed to have emotions. Odom has played like garbage. Whenever Odom comes into the game, bad things happen. I don’t like watching Odom play. All that being said, if he wants to feel hurt, whatever. All I want is for him to start playing well. Why should I judge him for having human emotions? I dislike Odom because of the way he plays, not because he vocalizes the fact that he is sensitive. Kobe is not Kobe because he glares at people. He’s Kobe because he can take and make shots.

As for last point of article, that Dallas needs Odom to make a deep run, I say silly. They need a few of their pieces to come back healthy, they need Dirk and Terry on their game, and they need the matchups to work out their way. If Odom can do something, all the better. He’s not the key to the team’s success, though.

• drunkenjunk - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I’m not saying he can’t be unhappy. He can be as unhappy as he wants, but he can’t bitch about having it rough. OMG, his cousin died? He married a stupid fat bitch? Does he want a cookie? My point is bad things happens to everybody and the rest of us would get fired, for the garbage excuses he makes. He’s a professional, act like it. I don’t care what his emotions are, I just want his lazy ass to show up.

• cinnalocks - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Obviously you md23 are the one with the warped pov. You never went to war or you would not argue his point. Nor would you question “how you people think”. What people is that? All the POV’s get to have a POV because we have an all volunteer armed force. So you do not have to fight now, like you all did before the draft ended. You can sit and talk shit while others keep you and your family safe. We should bring the draft back and make all 18 yr olds serve the country. Give thanks to the Armed Forces we keep the rest of you out of harms way.

Drunkenjunk has a point if Lamar were to experience war he would be more thankful of his opportunity to make that kind of money playing a game.

Lamar should give thanks for living a free country where there are no bombs in the arenas and he is not jailed or killed for upsetting the King or one of his sons with his play on the court. That alone should be enough to bring his game back!

11. lakerluver - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Love Lamar but come on, Dude!! He’s pouted and played like crap all season-that’s when he’s played at all-and he doesn’t understand why he’s being booed?!!

12. passerby23 - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I agree with the above comments about how Odom has simply pouted and sulked his way through the season. He’s not going to play worse than he has, so the best antidote is to go out and play as hard as you can. Put in some extra conditioning work if you’re not in shape. Make some hustle plays, be aggressive, and let the chips fall where they may. Forget about being “confused.” That’s code for “hurt” anyway.

13. j0esixpack - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I know Odom from his days playing at URI. Most fans don’t know about his difficult childhood and how hard he has worked to overcome a start that few fans could had overcome themselves.

No doubt he has God given skills that have been an asset but he wouldn’t be the first in the NBA to have squandered those skills.

In many ways Odom is the last person you would have expected to do well in the limelight of the NBA and the pressure of LA.

In this lockout shortened season, amid personal challenges and a trade it’s no huge surprise that his focus on the game has faltered, but I’m confident he will turn things around.

He’s a very strong and honorable person, and appreciates what he has – unlike many of his NBA colleagues and even some fans.

I know Dallas fans are passionate about basketball but I hope they’ll give Lamar the time and support to adjust. If they do they won’t be disappointed.

14. saywhatman - Mar 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

yes, he indeed has gone thru more than the average person has gone thru. people forget that his 6 month old son DIED from SIDS about 6 years ago. that’s something you never get over. so, i can see how he’d be a little more sensitive than the average man

• Kurt Helin - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Remember also he was in NYC this summer for a family member’s funeral when the car he was in (a town car, he was not driving) ran over and killed a kid. And there is more. Just say, Odom has been through a lot. Anyone that questions that does not know the man.

15. storebrandcookies - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I’m one of the Dallas fans that is booing him.. Boo!

16. blakspartan - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Yawns@ this article, Lamar be a man and tough it out

17. numba1recx19 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Mavericks fans are f*cked

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches