Mar 27, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
With just about a month to go before the playoffs start, there is very little decided in the West.
The top three teams — Oklahoma City, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers — have separated from the pack. They seem safely in.
But after that — take a look at the standings. The difference between being the four seed and being out of the playoffs all together is a game and a half.
4. L.A. Clippers 28-21 –
5. Dallas 28-22 0.5
6. Memphis 26-21 1
7. Utah 27-23 1.5
8. Houston 27-23 1.5
9. Denver 27-23 1.5
10. Phoenix 25-24 3
Yes, seeds seven through nine are in a dead heat right right now. But the uncertainty goes farther up the ladder — the Clippers have picked up a couple wins in a row, but the way they have played the last few weeks under Vinny Del Negro it is possible to see them falling all the way out of the playoffs. Denver has taken steps back but then turned around and beat the Bulls Monday night.
The hottest teams on that list are the Jazz (8-2 in their last 10) and the Phoenix Suns (7-3) who should not be counted out.
No predictions here, any team here could be in or out. Just a reminder that the West is still wild.
- Report: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 8
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 4
- PBT Podcast: NBA playoff preview edition 2
- NBA Playoff Preview: Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma City Thunder 7
- NBA Playoff Preview: Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trail Blazers 16