Mar 27, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
With just about a month to go before the playoffs start, there is very little decided in the West.
The top three teams — Oklahoma City, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers — have separated from the pack. They seem safely in.
But after that — take a look at the standings. The difference between being the four seed and being out of the playoffs all together is a game and a half.
4. L.A. Clippers 28-21 –
5. Dallas 28-22 0.5
6. Memphis 26-21 1
7. Utah 27-23 1.5
8. Houston 27-23 1.5
9. Denver 27-23 1.5
10. Phoenix 25-24 3
Yes, seeds seven through nine are in a dead heat right right now. But the uncertainty goes farther up the ladder — the Clippers have picked up a couple wins in a row, but the way they have played the last few weeks under Vinny Del Negro it is possible to see them falling all the way out of the playoffs. Denver has taken steps back but then turned around and beat the Bulls Monday night.
The hottest teams on that list are the Jazz (8-2 in their last 10) and the Phoenix Suns (7-3) who should not be counted out.
No predictions here, any team here could be in or out. Just a reminder that the West is still wild.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record