Mar 27, 2012, 9:26 AM EDT
With just about a month to go before the playoffs start, there is very little decided in the West.
The top three teams — Oklahoma City, San Antonio and the Los Angeles Lakers — have separated from the pack. They seem safely in.
But after that — take a look at the standings. The difference between being the four seed and being out of the playoffs all together is a game and a half.
4. L.A. Clippers 28-21 –
5. Dallas 28-22 0.5
6. Memphis 26-21 1
7. Utah 27-23 1.5
8. Houston 27-23 1.5
9. Denver 27-23 1.5
10. Phoenix 25-24 3
Yes, seeds seven through nine are in a dead heat right right now. But the uncertainty goes farther up the ladder — the Clippers have picked up a couple wins in a row, but the way they have played the last few weeks under Vinny Del Negro it is possible to see them falling all the way out of the playoffs. Denver has taken steps back but then turned around and beat the Bulls Monday night.
The hottest teams on that list are the Jazz (8-2 in their last 10) and the Phoenix Suns (7-3) who should not be counted out.
No predictions here, any team here could be in or out. Just a reminder that the West is still wild.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20