Mar 27, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Marc Gasol is sitting out the Grizzlies game against the Timberwolves on Tuesday night — but the Grizzlies are catching a break and he is missing only one game.
The 7-footer has been playing with the injury for more than a week and aggravated it Sunday during the Grizzlies’ road win against the Los Angeles Lakers. Team officials decided that Gasol should sit so that he could have four days of rest before returning Friday at Houston.
Marreese Speights got the start in his place.
David Stern noted at the All-Star break that the number of injuries in the NBA is not up this season, however the number of games missed due to injuries is due to the condensed schedule. Usually if a player rested a sprained ankle for five days, most season’s he’d only miss one game or maybe two. Often this season that can be more like three.
But Memphis catches a break on a light week in their schedule. Gasol may be back for another key game in a tight Western Conference on Friday.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months