Mar 27, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Marc Gasol is sitting out the Grizzlies game against the Timberwolves on Tuesday night — but the Grizzlies are catching a break and he is missing only one game.
The 7-footer has been playing with the injury for more than a week and aggravated it Sunday during the Grizzlies’ road win against the Los Angeles Lakers. Team officials decided that Gasol should sit so that he could have four days of rest before returning Friday at Houston.
Marreese Speights got the start in his place.
David Stern noted at the All-Star break that the number of injuries in the NBA is not up this season, however the number of games missed due to injuries is due to the condensed schedule. Usually if a player rested a sprained ankle for five days, most season’s he’d only miss one game or maybe two. Often this season that can be more like three.
But Memphis catches a break on a light week in their schedule. Gasol may be back for another key game in a tight Western Conference on Friday.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6