Mar 27, 2012, 8:32 PM EDT
Marc Gasol is sitting out the Grizzlies game against the Timberwolves on Tuesday night — but the Grizzlies are catching a break and he is missing only one game.
The 7-footer has been playing with the injury for more than a week and aggravated it Sunday during the Grizzlies’ road win against the Los Angeles Lakers. Team officials decided that Gasol should sit so that he could have four days of rest before returning Friday at Houston.
Marreese Speights got the start in his place.
David Stern noted at the All-Star break that the number of injuries in the NBA is not up this season, however the number of games missed due to injuries is due to the condensed schedule. Usually if a player rested a sprained ankle for five days, most season’s he’d only miss one game or maybe two. Often this season that can be more like three.
But Memphis catches a break on a light week in their schedule. Gasol may be back for another key game in a tight Western Conference on Friday.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 0
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21