Mar 27, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
This is sad. Not surprising, but sad nonetheless.
In court papers regarding child support payments, his own attorney describes Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman as broke and extremely sick. The Los Angeles Times got ahold of the documents.
Dennis Rodman’s attorney, Linnea Willis, said in court documents that the former Laker is barely capable of paying for his living expenses, let alone the $5,000 he has for one child from another relationship, and the $4,500 monthly payment for spousal and child support to Michelle Rodman….
“Respondent Dennis Rodman is broke and cannot afford any additional fees,” according to court documents filed on his behalf.
He is “extremely sick” and his marketability is diminishing with age and illness, according to court documents.
Lawyers have said some outrageous crap to get their clients out of paying for things, so you can take this with a grain of salt. That said, this is also totally believable.
No doubt, the saddest part of this who mess is his children are the ones that will suffer the most. Rodman could end up spending 20 days for being $808,935 behind in his child support. And for the record, Rodman’s attorneys are working pro bono (Latin meaning for the good or for free, because attorneys love their Latin).
The whole situation just is kind of depressing.
Rodman won five rings total between the Pistons and Bulls, plus played for the Spurs and Lakers. He is one of the best rebounders ever to play the game, plus he was a lock-down defender (especially early in his career). He was enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame last summer.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 0
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35