Mar 26, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Friday night it looked scary for Mickael Pietrus — after an awkward fall in Philadelphia where his neck snapped a little (but his head never hit the floor) he had to be taken off the court on a stretcher.
He was released from the hospital but did not travel with the team back to Boston.
Now we have the official diagnosis — Pietrus has a concussion and is out indefinately, Doc Rivers told the media (via the Boston Herald). That means he cannot return to the team until he is approved through the league’s new concussion policy (which includes getting approval from the league’s own neurologist).
“It’s a concussion and he’s not even ready to take the test yet,’’ Rivers said. “We’ll just have to wait and see. He sounds great. I knew he had a concussion, but I was more worried about his neck. So we’re fortunate. I have no idea [when he will return], we haven’t talked about that.’’
“Via through text, we’ve been keeping up with him and making sure that his health is everything, that he’s ok,” said Kevin Garnett. “So it’s good to know that he’s alright. I think because of the concussion, he has to go through proper testing. But what’s most important is his health because that’s someone’s father, someone’s brother, someone’s son. And that’s what’s most important when it comes to these types of things.”
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43