Mar 26, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Friday night it looked scary for Mickael Pietrus — after an awkward fall in Philadelphia where his neck snapped a little (but his head never hit the floor) he had to be taken off the court on a stretcher.
He was released from the hospital but did not travel with the team back to Boston.
Now we have the official diagnosis — Pietrus has a concussion and is out indefinately, Doc Rivers told the media (via the Boston Herald). That means he cannot return to the team until he is approved through the league’s new concussion policy (which includes getting approval from the league’s own neurologist).
“It’s a concussion and he’s not even ready to take the test yet,’’ Rivers said. “We’ll just have to wait and see. He sounds great. I knew he had a concussion, but I was more worried about his neck. So we’re fortunate. I have no idea [when he will return], we haven’t talked about that.’’
“Via through text, we’ve been keeping up with him and making sure that his health is everything, that he’s ok,” said Kevin Garnett. “So it’s good to know that he’s alright. I think because of the concussion, he has to go through proper testing. But what’s most important is his health because that’s someone’s father, someone’s brother, someone’s son. And that’s what’s most important when it comes to these types of things.”
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 19
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 19
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2