Mickael Pietrus out indefinately with concussion after fall

Mar 26, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT

Mickael Pietrus AP

Friday night it looked scary for Mickael Pietrus — after an awkward fall in Philadelphia where his neck snapped a little (but his head never hit the floor) he had to be taken off the court on a stretcher.

He was released from the hospital but did not travel with the team back to Boston.

Now we have the official diagnosis — Pietrus has a concussion and is out indefinately, Doc Rivers told the media (via the Boston Herald). That means he cannot return to the team until he is approved through the league’s new concussion policy (which includes getting approval from the league’s own neurologist).

“It’s a concussion and he’s not even ready to take the test yet,’’ Rivers said. “We’ll just have to wait and see. He sounds great. I knew he had a concussion, but I was more worried about his neck. So we’re fortunate. I have no idea [when he will return], we haven’t talked about that.’’

Kevin Garnett told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com that Pietrus’ teammates are still reaching out to him, trying to keep his spirits up.

“Via through text, we’ve been keeping up with him and making sure that his health is everything, that he’s ok,” said Kevin Garnett. “So it’s good to know that he’s alright. I think because of the concussion, he has to go through proper testing. But what’s most important is his health because that’s someone’s father, someone’s brother, someone’s son. And that’s what’s most important when it comes to these types of things.”

1. dirksimmons - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Indefinately? Is that worse than indefinitely?

2. thestudiokida - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I don’t like to comment on spelling but COME ON! Learn root words like finite.

3. somekat - Mar 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM

You guys are surprised? Everyone knows Kurt has trouble with the English language. He just gets to post on here to confuse and frustrate the readers

4. basketball34 - Mar 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Best wishes to M.P. for a full recovery!

5. Kansachusetts - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Who hired the language police? Hey, I was an English major too, and I write for a living, but I don’t always wear my uniform, especially not on sports pages.

I like Kurt’s writing. He wrote about an issue I care about. That’s what counts.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches