Mar 26, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
The latest step along those lines came with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade writing “RIP Trayvon Martin” on their shoes for games against Detroit and Oklahoma City. Wade also wrote “We Want Justice” on his. You can see a photo from last Friday night to the right (SLAM has a slideshow if you want more).
The Martin case — an unarmed black youth shot in a gated community in Florida while walking back to his father’s home by a neighborhood watch captain — has sparked national interest and debate.
While some players have spoken out (and the NBA players union has issued a statement calling for justice in the case) no team has been more visible than the Heat.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11