Mar 26, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
The latest step along those lines came with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade writing “RIP Trayvon Martin” on their shoes for games against Detroit and Oklahoma City. Wade also wrote “We Want Justice” on his. You can see a photo from last Friday night to the right (SLAM has a slideshow if you want more).
The Martin case — an unarmed black youth shot in a gated community in Florida while walking back to his father’s home by a neighborhood watch captain — has sparked national interest and debate.
While some players have spoken out (and the NBA players union has issued a statement calling for justice in the case) no team has been more visible than the Heat.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 4
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 22
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10