Mar 26, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
The latest step along those lines came with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade writing “RIP Trayvon Martin” on their shoes for games against Detroit and Oklahoma City. Wade also wrote “We Want Justice” on his. You can see a photo from last Friday night to the right (SLAM has a slideshow if you want more).
The Martin case — an unarmed black youth shot in a gated community in Florida while walking back to his father’s home by a neighborhood watch captain — has sparked national interest and debate.
While some players have spoken out (and the NBA players union has issued a statement calling for justice in the case) no team has been more visible than the Heat.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 12
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28