Mar 26, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
The latest step along those lines came with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade writing “RIP Trayvon Martin” on their shoes for games against Detroit and Oklahoma City. Wade also wrote “We Want Justice” on his. You can see a photo from last Friday night to the right (SLAM has a slideshow if you want more).
The Martin case — an unarmed black youth shot in a gated community in Florida while walking back to his father’s home by a neighborhood watch captain — has sparked national interest and debate.
While some players have spoken out (and the NBA players union has issued a statement calling for justice in the case) no team has been more visible than the Heat.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 3
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 17
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 90