Mar 26, 2012, 12:27 PM EST
The latest step along those lines came with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade writing “RIP Trayvon Martin” on their shoes for games against Detroit and Oklahoma City. Wade also wrote “We Want Justice” on his. You can see a photo from last Friday night to the right (SLAM has a slideshow if you want more).
The Martin case — an unarmed black youth shot in a gated community in Florida while walking back to his father’s home by a neighborhood watch captain — has sparked national interest and debate.
While some players have spoken out (and the NBA players union has issued a statement calling for justice in the case) no team has been more visible than the Heat.
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 30