Mar 26, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
New York is going to have to make some if not all of its stretch run — which is really a fight just to make the playoffs — without Amare Stoudemire.
Stoudemire is out indefinitely with a bulging disc in his back, the team announced Monday. Stoudemire injured it against the Pistons Saturday and it had stiffened up since then. He had missed the team’s shootaround Monday to have an MRI on his back, which found the problem.
The reports out of the Knicks said he would have a “non-surgical procedure” to fix the problem, but there is no date for his return. However, Stoudemire has decided to go to Miami to see a specialist and get a second opinion, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News on twitter.
Coach Mike Woodson said he did not know if Stoudemire would be ready for the playoffs, and that “if” surgery needed later Stoudemire is young and could bounce back. Put it all together and this doesn’t sound good. (Officially this is a bulging disc, different than the herniated disc Baron Davis had.)
Both Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin will be out for a key showdown with the Bucks Monday night (Lin is day-to-day with a sore knee). The Knicks are the 8 seed in the East, 1.5 games up on Milwaukee heading into this game. Lose this game and they are up just half a game — just a whisper away from missing the playoffs all together.
Woodson said he was going to be interested to see how the other Knicks players step up. We all are.
Stoudemire had back problems in the playoffs last season and that is one of the reasons the Knicks were easily swept out of the playoffs.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 2
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 36
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73