Mar 26, 2012, 6:21 PM EDT
New York is going to have to make some if not all of its stretch run — which is really a fight just to make the playoffs — without Amare Stoudemire.
Stoudemire is out indefinitely with a bulging disc in his back, the team announced Monday. Stoudemire injured it against the Pistons Saturday and it had stiffened up since then. He had missed the team’s shootaround Monday to have an MRI on his back, which found the problem.
The reports out of the Knicks said he would have a “non-surgical procedure” to fix the problem, but there is no date for his return. However, Stoudemire has decided to go to Miami to see a specialist and get a second opinion, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News on twitter.
Coach Mike Woodson said he did not know if Stoudemire would be ready for the playoffs, and that “if” surgery needed later Stoudemire is young and could bounce back. Put it all together and this doesn’t sound good. (Officially this is a bulging disc, different than the herniated disc Baron Davis had.)
Both Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin will be out for a key showdown with the Bucks Monday night (Lin is day-to-day with a sore knee). The Knicks are the 8 seed in the East, 1.5 games up on Milwaukee heading into this game. Lose this game and they are up just half a game — just a whisper away from missing the playoffs all together.
Woodson said he was going to be interested to see how the other Knicks players step up. We all are.
Stoudemire had back problems in the playoffs last season and that is one of the reasons the Knicks were easily swept out of the playoffs.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40