Mar 26, 2012, 6:21 PM EST
New York is going to have to make some if not all of its stretch run — which is really a fight just to make the playoffs — without Amare Stoudemire.
Stoudemire is out indefinitely with a bulging disc in his back, the team announced Monday. Stoudemire injured it against the Pistons Saturday and it had stiffened up since then. He had missed the team’s shootaround Monday to have an MRI on his back, which found the problem.
The reports out of the Knicks said he would have a “non-surgical procedure” to fix the problem, but there is no date for his return. However, Stoudemire has decided to go to Miami to see a specialist and get a second opinion, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News on twitter.
Coach Mike Woodson said he did not know if Stoudemire would be ready for the playoffs, and that “if” surgery needed later Stoudemire is young and could bounce back. Put it all together and this doesn’t sound good. (Officially this is a bulging disc, different than the herniated disc Baron Davis had.)
Both Stoudemire and Jeremy Lin will be out for a key showdown with the Bucks Monday night (Lin is day-to-day with a sore knee). The Knicks are the 8 seed in the East, 1.5 games up on Milwaukee heading into this game. Lose this game and they are up just half a game — just a whisper away from missing the playoffs all together.
Woodson said he was going to be interested to see how the other Knicks players step up. We all are.
Stoudemire had back problems in the playoffs last season and that is one of the reasons the Knicks were easily swept out of the playoffs.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 6
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 32
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20