Hamilton close to returning for Bulls; Rose not so much

Mar 26, 2012, 9:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

The Chicago Bulls continue to do their best imitation of the NHL’s Blackhawks during the playoffs, not really telling anybody what is going on with injuries to Richard Hamilton and Derrick Rose, but some things are starting to leak out.

Hamilton could be back by the next game, but Rose seems farther off — even though he is itching to get back on the court.

Rose is still not running after straining his groin, but you can tell from his comments before the game how much he wants to play. Via the twitter account of Aggrey Sam, Bulls insider for CSNChicago.com.

“Right when I feel that I’m ready, I’m going to go out there and play, no matter who says whatever… The call is up to me and right when I feel like I’m 100 percent or close to it, I’m going to go out there and play.”

Groins can be tricky and easy to re-aggravate, so the Bulls might be smart to really get Rose right before his return. In part because he doesn’t know any speed but 100 mph, and partly because they really, really need him to be right in the playoffs.

Rip Hamilton, out with a shoulder injury, could be ready to go maybe by next game. Rose thinks he looks ready, according to a report filed by Sam.

“He’s looking good. He’s moving better than I am right now. He’s in the practice. I’m just on the side, just watching. But he’s moving good. If anything, I think that he’ll be able to play any given night.

“He’s shooting a lot of shots. You saw him over there, after practice shooting. He’s getting back to his regular self.”

The Bulls will need him as well come the postseason. Hamilton has not played a lot this season — just 16 of the teams 51 games as of Monday — but when he has played he has provided a second scoring option on the perimeter the Bulls need.

1. boilerup1869 - Mar 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Rip is the most fragile dude to ever play for the bulls and has become an after-thought for most bulls fans, especially considering the team’s performance up to this point.

• passerby23 - Mar 26, 2012 at 9:46 PM

The Bulls can pile up regular season wins without Rose and Hamilton, but they are much needed offensive assets come playoff time. The playoffs are all about exploiting matchups. The Bulls are going to need Rip’s scoring when it matters. The Bulls looked great last year, but looked desperately out of sorts when they needed a basket against the Heat.

• pudgalvin - Mar 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM

He’s looked like he’ll fit right in if he can get healthy though. They basically just run the same stuff for him that they do for Korver (which is the same stuff Rip ran in Detroit). He hasn’t shot too well, but I don’t think he’s played more than 5 games in a row. It’s be real nice to have him in a game like tonight where the Bulls are dying for someone that can get their own shot.

P.S. Did anyone see the comment were Rose said his groin was actually bleeding when he injured it?

*CRINGE*

• diehardcubbiefan4life - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

BLEEDING?! *DOUBLE CRINGE* Anyway was it exactly clear WHEN he injured that?

• comeonnowguys - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Internally. Could be worse, though. In baseball, Nomar’s ripped right off the bone years ago… yeeesh. /shudder

• diehardcubbiefan4life - Mar 26, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Why all the thumbs down? Diehard Bulls fan and I couldnt agree more with you. I used to see his name NOT in the lineup.

• boilerup1869 - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

This is exactly my point.

The Bulls are paying the dude $5m this season to constantly nurse phantom injuries. When did that groin pull even happen? His “legs hurt”? He bumped shoulders and has to sit out a month and a half? Wtf??

If you are out with injuries for 80% of the season, you are a non-factor. Bulls don’t need em.

2. tampajoey - Mar 26, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Just take your time Derrick and be healthy for the playoffs. You got a date to kick some Lebron butt in May.

3. glink123 - Mar 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Bulls looked pathetic tonight. Worst performance of the season. The heavy minutes by the reserves are starting to hit them. All I know is, if Hamilton doesn’t play well (or doesn’t play at all) in the post season, GarPax should be publicly flogged. Seriously though, is John Paxon even still alive? I haven’t seen a single comment about him this entire season.

• gmsingh - Mar 27, 2012 at 7:58 AM

The Bulls haven’t lost two games in a row in over a year. They can be expected to lose one from time to time. They do need a healthy Hamilton or Rose to compete in these kinds of games, though.

4. asublimeday - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM

As dominant as the bulls are without these two, the thought of a full, healthy bulls team putting it all together is horrifying for the rest of the NBA.

5. numba1recx19 - Mar 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Ripitty RIP HAMILLTOOON. Damn I miss that. God bless Richard Hamilton and his health.

6. emaimo80 - Mar 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I know a team the bulls lost to twice in a row within the last year. Playoffs, u kidding me? Dont talk about Playoffs! Not looking good for the heat now, but remember last yr? Heat didnt beat the bulls once all season! It’s all about clicking at the right time. Let’s go heat, let’s go heat.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches