Mar 26, 2012, 7:58 PM EST
This was about as big a secret as who Michele Obama is going to vote for in the fall, but now it is official.
Duke point guard Austin Rivers is leaving the school to enter the NBA draft, the University announced Monday. Like we said, no shock as it had been reported last week.
I just want to thank all the fans that have supported me this year. it was so fun playing there and becoming apart of the duke family!… I appreciate everybody, and the support y’all have given me! Duke nation has truly made me a better person and player! Duke #1
Rivers, the son of Celtics coach Doc Rivers, will go in the first round — DraftExpress has him at No. 17.
The question is where he fits in the NBA. He played the point at Duke, but he is either a shoot first point or more likely an undersized two guard. He has a crossover that can create space and he can knock down shots. He’s not an elite athlete at the NBA level but he plays the game with a high IQ. Almost like he was the son of a former NBA point guard and a coach.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42