Mar 26, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have not contacted Phil Jackson about coaching them yet. At least not formally (anything might have happened through back channels).
But at some point they will offer the job to him, the question is will he take it?
He was burned out after his second stint with the Lakers and talked openly about wanting to get healthy, writing another book and maybe doing some traveling. But he’s competitive and has an affinity for New York where he played, so could that sway him?
Don’t ask longtime Jackson companion Jeanie Buss. The L.A. Times did and she said she has no idea either.
“I can’t answer that question,” said Buss, a Lakers executive vice president. “Only he can. Nobody’s called him. Unless somebody calls, we won’t know how to answer that question….
“Don’t even go there,” Buss said. “That’s up to Phil. Whatever he does, he loves the game and he loves the guys that he’s coached. That will never change.”
It says everything you need to know about PJ that the person probably closest to him on the planet doesn’t want to hazard a guess as to what he is thinking.
I’ll say again that my impression of him after the Lakers were swept out of the playoffs by the Mavericks last year is that he was done, that the grind of coaching was more than he physically wanted to put up with anymore. I don’t think he’ll go back to coaching anywhere.
But guessing what Phil Jackson will do next is a waste of time. Nobody knows. Maybe not even Phil himself yet.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris