Mar 26, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have not contacted Phil Jackson about coaching them yet. At least not formally (anything might have happened through back channels).
But at some point they will offer the job to him, the question is will he take it?
He was burned out after his second stint with the Lakers and talked openly about wanting to get healthy, writing another book and maybe doing some traveling. But he’s competitive and has an affinity for New York where he played, so could that sway him?
Don’t ask longtime Jackson companion Jeanie Buss. The L.A. Times did and she said she has no idea either.
“I can’t answer that question,” said Buss, a Lakers executive vice president. “Only he can. Nobody’s called him. Unless somebody calls, we won’t know how to answer that question….
“Don’t even go there,” Buss said. “That’s up to Phil. Whatever he does, he loves the game and he loves the guys that he’s coached. That will never change.”
It says everything you need to know about PJ that the person probably closest to him on the planet doesn’t want to hazard a guess as to what he is thinking.
I’ll say again that my impression of him after the Lakers were swept out of the playoffs by the Mavericks last year is that he was done, that the grind of coaching was more than he physically wanted to put up with anymore. I don’t think he’ll go back to coaching anywhere.
But guessing what Phil Jackson will do next is a waste of time. Nobody knows. Maybe not even Phil himself yet.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24