Mar 26, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have not contacted Phil Jackson about coaching them yet. At least not formally (anything might have happened through back channels).
But at some point they will offer the job to him, the question is will he take it?
He was burned out after his second stint with the Lakers and talked openly about wanting to get healthy, writing another book and maybe doing some traveling. But he’s competitive and has an affinity for New York where he played, so could that sway him?
Don’t ask longtime Jackson companion Jeanie Buss. The L.A. Times did and she said she has no idea either.
“I can’t answer that question,” said Buss, a Lakers executive vice president. “Only he can. Nobody’s called him. Unless somebody calls, we won’t know how to answer that question….
“Don’t even go there,” Buss said. “That’s up to Phil. Whatever he does, he loves the game and he loves the guys that he’s coached. That will never change.”
It says everything you need to know about PJ that the person probably closest to him on the planet doesn’t want to hazard a guess as to what he is thinking.
I’ll say again that my impression of him after the Lakers were swept out of the playoffs by the Mavericks last year is that he was done, that the grind of coaching was more than he physically wanted to put up with anymore. I don’t think he’ll go back to coaching anywhere.
But guessing what Phil Jackson will do next is a waste of time. Nobody knows. Maybe not even Phil himself yet.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32