Mar 26, 2012, 11:34 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have not contacted Phil Jackson about coaching them yet. At least not formally (anything might have happened through back channels).
But at some point they will offer the job to him, the question is will he take it?
He was burned out after his second stint with the Lakers and talked openly about wanting to get healthy, writing another book and maybe doing some traveling. But he’s competitive and has an affinity for New York where he played, so could that sway him?
Don’t ask longtime Jackson companion Jeanie Buss. The L.A. Times did and she said she has no idea either.
“I can’t answer that question,” said Buss, a Lakers executive vice president. “Only he can. Nobody’s called him. Unless somebody calls, we won’t know how to answer that question….
“Don’t even go there,” Buss said. “That’s up to Phil. Whatever he does, he loves the game and he loves the guys that he’s coached. That will never change.”
It says everything you need to know about PJ that the person probably closest to him on the planet doesn’t want to hazard a guess as to what he is thinking.
I’ll say again that my impression of him after the Lakers were swept out of the playoffs by the Mavericks last year is that he was done, that the grind of coaching was more than he physically wanted to put up with anymore. I don’t think he’ll go back to coaching anywhere.
But guessing what Phil Jackson will do next is a waste of time. Nobody knows. Maybe not even Phil himself yet.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50