Mar 26, 2012, 1:02 PM EST
This happens every year right before the Final Four. Some loudmouth says that the best college team in the land could beat the worst NBA team.
This year’s loudmouth is Charles Barkley. Guess we shouldn’t be shocked by that. Here is what he said, via our sister (brother?) blog CollgeBasketballTalk, which you should be reading anyway.
“Nobody can beat this team. The Toronto Raptors can’t, the Bobcats maybe. But there’s nobody in this NCAA tournament that can beat this team.”
No. No they could not.
And for the record, Charles, Toronto is better than Charlotte.
Kentucky is immensely talented, no doubt. Anthony Davis will be the No. 1 overall pick with good reason, he can develop into a special player. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is maybe my favorite player in this draft because while every year at the draft we talk about “what a great motor” some player has Kidd-Gilchrist actually has one and lives up to it. Terrance Jones, Doran Lamb, the list goes on and on with guys who are going to get a shot in the pros. They are going to get a chance to develop.
But it would be men against boys. The strength of NBA players, the level of execution is far superior. Even on the Bobcats. Kemba Walker ate up college players last year and he is much better now. You think there is a college kid strong enough to stop Corey Maggette on the drive? Bismack Biyombo would be swatting shots into the third row. Gerald Henderson would have his way. Look at it this way — Tyrus Thomas was the No. 4 pick overall and he struggles to make it work in the NBA. The talent level is just far superior across the board.
Best of seven series, maybe Kentucky wins one. Maybe. Now, if you have a time machine and can keep this Kentucky team together when they are all 25 and they play these Bobcats, that could be interesting. But right now, boys against men.
And Barkley knows that, but he gets paid to be outrageous.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 8
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 16
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)