Mar 26, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
This happens every year right before the Final Four. Some loudmouth says that the best college team in the land could beat the worst NBA team.
This year’s loudmouth is Charles Barkley. Guess we shouldn’t be shocked by that. Here is what he said, via our sister (brother?) blog CollgeBasketballTalk, which you should be reading anyway.
“Nobody can beat this team. The Toronto Raptors can’t, the Bobcats maybe. But there’s nobody in this NCAA tournament that can beat this team.”
No. No they could not.
And for the record, Charles, Toronto is better than Charlotte.
Kentucky is immensely talented, no doubt. Anthony Davis will be the No. 1 overall pick with good reason, he can develop into a special player. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is maybe my favorite player in this draft because while every year at the draft we talk about “what a great motor” some player has Kidd-Gilchrist actually has one and lives up to it. Terrance Jones, Doran Lamb, the list goes on and on with guys who are going to get a shot in the pros. They are going to get a chance to develop.
But it would be men against boys. The strength of NBA players, the level of execution is far superior. Even on the Bobcats. Kemba Walker ate up college players last year and he is much better now. You think there is a college kid strong enough to stop Corey Maggette on the drive? Bismack Biyombo would be swatting shots into the third row. Gerald Henderson would have his way. Look at it this way — Tyrus Thomas was the No. 4 pick overall and he struggles to make it work in the NBA. The talent level is just far superior across the board.
Best of seven series, maybe Kentucky wins one. Maybe. Now, if you have a time machine and can keep this Kentucky team together when they are all 25 and they play these Bobcats, that could be interesting. But right now, boys against men.
And Barkley knows that, but he gets paid to be outrageous.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22