Bogut says you’re “uneducated” if you think he’s injury prone

Mar 26, 2012, 6:06 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Andrew Bogut is right.

He’s also not answering the question I and others are asking about the trade that sent him from Milwaukee to the Bay Area essentially for Monta Ellis.

In a radio interview with 95.7 The Game in San Francisco, Bogut was asked about his injury history — he is currently out with a fractured ankle — and the perception that he is injury prone (via Sports Radio Interviews).

What I would say is I’ve only had one injury in my NBA career that was probably was because my core wasn’t strong enough, when I had a stress fracture in my back. … The last two injuries, I can’t control falling on my arm and breaking everything in my right arm. And I can’t control having a good defensive quarter in Houston … and falling on a foot. If you call that chronic, it’s pretty uneducated in my opinion. But the reality is I have been hurt, so I need to try and, I don’t know, maybe see a witch doctor in the offseason to get that bug away from me.”

He’s right. The horrific elbow injury and his ankle injury this seasons are flukes. He’s been unlucky. If you want more detail on this, Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated has the definitive piece on this topic.

But that’s not really the question I have about the trade. Rather, it is “Can Bogut recover to anywhere near his former self?”

The pre-elbow injury Bogut was a borderline All-Star— 16 points (on 54 percent shooting), 10 rebounds a game, PER of 20.7, plus he was one of the best defensive centers in the game. But the post-injury Bogut has been pretty average. He’s still a good defensive center, which the Warriors need, but this Bogut isn’t worth giving up Ellis for. At least to me. If he bounces back to his old form I’d say the Warriors won the trade. It’s just a roll of the dice.

But Bogut is right, he’s not injury prone physically. The question is just recovery.

Latest Posts
  1. Giannis Antetokounmpo sprains ankle, leaves Bucks game not to return

Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

He walked off under his own power but did not return.

2. Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade

Dec 17, 2014, 11:33 PM EST

Boston Celtics v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Rockets, Kings and Knicks also reportedly inquiring about Celtics point guard

3. Adam Silver says Charlotte hosting All-Star Game is inevitable

Dec 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EST

Adam Silver AP

In related news, Hornets got a ton of public funding to upgrade arena

4. Greg Monroe’s agent says he does not want a trade from Pistons

Dec 17, 2014, 7:39 PM EST

Detroit Pistons v Orlando Magic Getty Images

The offers are not going to be big, will Stan Van Gundy eventually give in and take one?

5. Now what for Milwaukee Bucks? For rookie of the year race?

Dec 17, 2014, 5:31 PM EST

Jabari Parker AP

There are no good answers for the Bucks, or for other rookies to reward.

6. Kings owner says Malone fired because Kings now need “jazz director”

Dec 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EST

Oklahoma City at Sacramento Oklahoma City at Sacramento

The Kings roster is poorly suited right now for the style the owner wants to play.

7. Report: Pistons asked for Kyle Korver and Jeff Teague in discussing Greg Monroe trade with Hawks

Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Greg Monroe AP

Portland also reportedly tried to trade for Monroe before he signed the one-year qualifying offer to stay in Detroit.

8. Isaiah Austin gets added as a player in NBA 2K15 video game

Dec 17, 2014, 1:50 PM EST

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptg2mzfkyty1yze1ntrjmmmwogrlmge3mdezmdqzmwfk AP

Former Baylor University center was expected to be drafted, but was diagnosed with a disease that prematurely ended his chances of playing in the NBA.

9. Dwyane Wade gets poked in the eye by referee, then flops (VIDEO)

Dec 17, 2014, 1:10 PM EST

Dwyane Wade AP

Wade has a reputation of being a flopper, and appeared to exaggerate the contact from the official.

10. Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony

Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v New York Knicks Getty Images

He pities ‘Melo because a real competitor is suffering through a lot of losing.

11. Cavaliers’ Kevin Love a game-time decision Wednesday vs. Hawks

Dec 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EST

Atlanta Hawks v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Love is suffering from the dreaded flu-like symptoms.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches