Bogut says you’re “uneducated” if you think he’s injury prone

Mar 26, 2012, 6:06 PM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls Getty Images

Andrew Bogut is right.

He’s also not answering the question I and others are asking about the trade that sent him from Milwaukee to the Bay Area essentially for Monta Ellis.

In a radio interview with 95.7 The Game in San Francisco, Bogut was asked about his injury history — he is currently out with a fractured ankle — and the perception that he is injury prone (via Sports Radio Interviews).

What I would say is I’ve only had one injury in my NBA career that was probably was because my core wasn’t strong enough, when I had a stress fracture in my back. … The last two injuries, I can’t control falling on my arm and breaking everything in my right arm. And I can’t control having a good defensive quarter in Houston … and falling on a foot. If you call that chronic, it’s pretty uneducated in my opinion. But the reality is I have been hurt, so I need to try and, I don’t know, maybe see a witch doctor in the offseason to get that bug away from me.”

He’s right. The horrific elbow injury and his ankle injury this seasons are flukes. He’s been unlucky. If you want more detail on this, Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated has the definitive piece on this topic.

But that’s not really the question I have about the trade. Rather, it is “Can Bogut recover to anywhere near his former self?”

The pre-elbow injury Bogut was a borderline All-Star— 16 points (on 54 percent shooting), 10 rebounds a game, PER of 20.7, plus he was one of the best defensive centers in the game. But the post-injury Bogut has been pretty average. He’s still a good defensive center, which the Warriors need, but this Bogut isn’t worth giving up Ellis for. At least to me. If he bounces back to his old form I’d say the Warriors won the trade. It’s just a roll of the dice.

But Bogut is right, he’s not injury prone physically. The question is just recovery.

1. thetruth113 - Mar 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The Warriors got rid of a ball-stopping, inefficient scorer who is the worst defender at his position in the NBA. Has anyone seen how good Klay Thompson has played since the trade? Getting rid of Monta and moving Thompson into the rotation has upgraded them at SG

2. glink123 - Mar 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM

nice article, KH. very fair portrayal of Bogut.

3. 408rayda - Mar 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Should have kept Monta and got rid of the real “injury prone” on the roster, Steph Curry, that would be a nice lineup David Lee, Andrew Bogut, Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson

4. jrod2173 - Mar 27, 2012 at 12:53 PM

U my friend are uneducated. Watch a warriors game and u’ll see that Klay Thompson, in his rookie season mind you, is as efficient a scorer as Monta was. Klay is also a better defender and bigger. The warriors landed, post elbow or not, a top 10 center for a player that the warriors have been trying to move for 3 years and no one wanted. Don’t forget that through the Jackson trade right after the warriors also got a first round pick. I think the warriors should be unhappy with having to give up Udoh more than Monta.

5. sasquash20 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Even if they didn’t get Bogut it was a great trade. Addition by subtraction, Ellis is way overrated.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches