Mar 24, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
UPDATE March 24, 12:15 pm: This has to be taken as good news — Pietrus stayed behind the team and spent the night in Philadelphia, but not in the hospital.
He now has been cleared to return to Boston, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. Which is very good news. He may miss a game or two — and may have to be cleared under the league’s new concussion guidelines — but after seeing the injury this was a much better outcome than was feared.
UPDATE March 23, 11:26 pm: Doc Rivers said after the game that Pietrus will spend the night in the hospital and undergo more tests, but that he was in good condition. Well, for a guy who had to be carted off the floor.
9:46 pm: We can only hope this is nothing serious.
With just over five minutes left in the second quarter of the Celtics game against the Sixers Friday night, Mickael Pietrus took a pass from Rajon Rondo as he curled into the lane (a set Boston runs for Ray Allen all the time). As Pietrus went up to shoot Lou Williams went for the block and ended up knocking Pietrus down where his necked snapped hard (the injury is described by the Celtics as a neck injury).
Pietrus had to be carted off the court but we do not yet know anything of his status. He was able to move his legs and arms while on the court — the game stopped for 10 minutes — but they put him in a neck brace before he was taken off the court on a stretcher.
Pietrus started the game as Ray Allen was inactive due to an ankle injury. Marquis Daniels started the second half in place of Pietrus. After the injury the Celtics seemed to play with a little extra fire.
We should add that the foul by Williams was not flagrant and clearly was not with the intent to injure. It was a play on the ball where the the outcome was unfortunate.
We will update his status as we get information.
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 4
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 47
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 16
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8