Mar 24, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
UPDATE March 24, 12:15 pm: This has to be taken as good news — Pietrus stayed behind the team and spent the night in Philadelphia, but not in the hospital.
He now has been cleared to return to Boston, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. Which is very good news. He may miss a game or two — and may have to be cleared under the league’s new concussion guidelines — but after seeing the injury this was a much better outcome than was feared.
UPDATE March 23, 11:26 pm: Doc Rivers said after the game that Pietrus will spend the night in the hospital and undergo more tests, but that he was in good condition. Well, for a guy who had to be carted off the floor.
9:46 pm: We can only hope this is nothing serious.
With just over five minutes left in the second quarter of the Celtics game against the Sixers Friday night, Mickael Pietrus took a pass from Rajon Rondo as he curled into the lane (a set Boston runs for Ray Allen all the time). As Pietrus went up to shoot Lou Williams went for the block and ended up knocking Pietrus down where his necked snapped hard (the injury is described by the Celtics as a neck injury).
Pietrus had to be carted off the court but we do not yet know anything of his status. He was able to move his legs and arms while on the court — the game stopped for 10 minutes — but they put him in a neck brace before he was taken off the court on a stretcher.
Pietrus started the game as Ray Allen was inactive due to an ankle injury. Marquis Daniels started the second half in place of Pietrus. After the injury the Celtics seemed to play with a little extra fire.
We should add that the foul by Williams was not flagrant and clearly was not with the intent to injure. It was a play on the ball where the the outcome was unfortunate.
We will update his status as we get information.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 0
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31