Mar 23, 2012, 7:41 PM EDT
Friday is the biggest game of the regular season for the Celtics — well, maybe not their fans, they want to beat the Lakers more than anything — if they beat the 76ers they take over first place in the Atlantic Division. Which means a jump from the seven seed (Miami in the first round of the playoffs) to the four seed (hello Indiana).
But they will be doing it without Ray Allen, who is a surprise scratch, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. Six games ago Allen tweaked his ankle when he slipped on a wet spot on the floor against the Clippers. He has played through it up to this point, but the Celtics are on the second night of a back-to-back against the Sixers and while Doc Rivers wants to win this game he has to think long term. Which is the prudent thing to do.
Mickael Pietrus will get the start in his absence.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 9
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 7
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 24
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games