Mar 23, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is too smart to go on the Lakers flagship radio station in Los Angeles and rip his boss. He’d have you read between the lines of a terse statement.
But that’s not what he did.
Kobe was on the Mason and Ireland show on ESPN Radio in L.A. (John Ireland is the Lakers radio play-by-play voice) and when asked about Jim Buss gave a pretty glowing response. (Thanks to Brian Kamenetzky of Land O’ Lakers for the transcription).
“We have a good relationship. People misunderstand that relationship. We’ve had good times. We’ve had dinner together, things like that. He’s a great guy. He wants to do the right thing, he wants to help us win a championship. The biggest thing is, the same with his father who he’s learned from, he’s not going to make rushed decisions. He’s going to be patient, he’s going to take his time, and the one thing I will say about the Lakers organization is that this is one of those franchises that always seems to land on it’s feet. Always seems to make the right choices, always seems to make the right decisions. Even the tough ones. He’s a great guy.”
Jerry Buss has been very good at thinking in terms of the big picture during his tenure. He has made the hard choices and done things he may not have wanted to do (bring back Phil Jackson in 2005, for example) because it was the right thing for the business.
Jim Buss has yet to show that kind of vision. Right now the book is still out on him as an owner, we do not have enough information to make an informed decision. There may be signs of concern, but those are short term. What Lakers fans know is they do have a relationship with and trust the more visible Jeanie Buss. Jim did a live chat with fans on the team site yesterday, he needs to do more things like that to start to establish that trust.
But in the end, he will be judged by rings and keeping the Lakers a perennial power. Unfortunately for Jim Buss, he will be judged by the bar his father set.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 12
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 22
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 20
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27