Mar 23, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
We all knew a suspension was coming for that hit, the question was for how long?
Jason Smith will be suspended for two games by the league for his hockey check of Blake Griffin during the Hornets victory over the Clippers Thursday night, the league has announced. He will miss a game Sunday against the Spurs then a Monday rematch with the Clippers (that the Clippers was the second game almost ensured at least a two-game suspension as the league tries to avoid any retaliation).
The question of hard fouls on Griffin is a complex one that our own Matt Moore discussed in great detail. The book on Griffin is to be physical with him, but this was beyond any reasonable likes. It was a takedown with no play on the ball. Smith is lucky it is only two games.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Russell Westbrook returns to court tonight for Thunder vs. Knicks 9
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 11
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9