Mar 23, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
We all knew a suspension was coming for that hit, the question was for how long?
Jason Smith will be suspended for two games by the league for his hockey check of Blake Griffin during the Hornets victory over the Clippers Thursday night, the league has announced. He will miss a game Sunday against the Spurs then a Monday rematch with the Clippers (that the Clippers was the second game almost ensured at least a two-game suspension as the league tries to avoid any retaliation).
The question of hard fouls on Griffin is a complex one that our own Matt Moore discussed in great detail. The book on Griffin is to be physical with him, but this was beyond any reasonable likes. It was a takedown with no play on the ball. Smith is lucky it is only two games.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 0
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 8
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 34
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 13