Mar 23, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Here is our daily look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• To make things easier on their coaches and universities, the NCAA is screwing over players thinking about declaring for the NBA draft by giving them little time to make a decision. DraftExpress lays it all out, there is no real chance to “test the waters.” The issue is less the lottery guys and more the players who might go undrafted, get bad advice and now will not have time to reverse the decision.
• Dallas has signed a deal with Kelenna Azubuike, which could be a great find if he really can bounce back from a pretty severe knee injury. He will start his comeback in the D-League.
• A fascinating note about crunch time statistics from John Hollinger at ESPN — crunch time defense may be a better way to tell who succeeds at the end of games than who does better on offense.
• Why did the Lakers trade Derek Fisher? For them he would not have been the same leader on the bench.
• A good look at the problems Vinny Del Negro faces with the Clippers.
• Allen Iverson’s ex-wife wants a list of every woman he’s slept with. Have fun with that one, the jokes write themselves.
• A good look at why the Clippers are not contenders right now, thanks to Zach Lowe from Sports Illustrated. To sum it up in a word – defense.
• Iowa State power forward Royce White has declared for the 2012 NBA draft. DraftExpress has him going No. 18 right now, he appears solidly in the first round.
• Reports are Memphis’ Will Barton will declare for the draft as well. That’s a bigger risk, DraftExpress has him going in the second round — which means no guaranteed contract.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18