Mar 23, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
The question is not want. As always the question is money.
But know that the Celtics would like to have Kevin Garnett back next season, in large part because he has played better than expected this season. His contract is up at the end of this year, he is a free agent. Still, some in Boston think that if he does play next season it will be only in Boston.
Doc Rivers is on board and said this about KG before the Celtics took on the 76ers Friday night, via CSNNE.com.
“Oh yeah, absolutely. We want him back,” Rivers said. “I think it will come down to if he wants to play or not. But, you know, who knows? So many games and so many things can happen. Being around this as long as I have I know it is very emotional how the season ends. And a lot of players have made poor decisions on the end of a season, so we’ll have to wait and see.”
As to why he would play in Boston as opposed to somewhere else?
“I think he’s very comfortable, I think he’s healthy,” Doc Rivers said to Greg Dickerson on CSNNE’s Courtside Club… “I think moving him to the five has been a big benefit to him. Now he’s the quickest guy every night at his position, and I think that’s been a big benefit to him as well.”
All that love is swell. It really is.
What matters is always the money.
Next season the Celtics have just $35 million on the books because Ray Allen, Jermaine O’Neal and KG (as well as others) all come off the books at once. They have the ability to bring in a max player and more. They can remake the roster for the future, with Rajon Rondo as the heart of the new team. KG is not the future. So it’s a matter of who they can bring in and at what price before they consider KG.
Garnett is not going to get a long-term deal or anywhere in the vicinity of the $21 million he is making this season. But if he would do a two-year deal closer to a league average salary, would Boston bite?
The Celtics have a lot of decisions to make. So does Garnett. But don’t be shocked if he is back in green next season.
Ray Allen on the other hand…
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73