Mar 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
This playoffs could be the last run of this Boston Celtics era — Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are free agents this summer, and with one year left on his deal the Celtics will look to move Paul Pierce (as they did at the trade deadline).
It is possible that none of it works out, that all four key players — Rajon Rondo is in there, too — will be back with the Celtics. But there are teams interested in getting some of these Celtics.
Allen’s free-agent options are up in the air. The Miami Heat are expected to make a strong run at signing him this summer, one league source said.
“First of all, (Boston) has to be willing to have me back,” Allen said. “Then you have to look around to see what’s acceptable and who is capable of having me on the team and then you go from there. It’s hard to really say.”
To play for Miami, Allen will have to take a steep pay cut. With each of Miami’s big three making more than $17 million, the Heat already have $78 million on the books for next season — that is over both the projected salary cap (by about $20 million) and luxury tax. Either the Celtics would agree to a sign-and-trade or Allen wants to play there at whatever salary because the Celtics and other teams could and will offer more money — shooters are always in demand.
But that’s something to watch this summer. It also will be interesting to see who comes forward and goes after Garnett.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)