Mar 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
This playoffs could be the last run of this Boston Celtics era — Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are free agents this summer, and with one year left on his deal the Celtics will look to move Paul Pierce (as they did at the trade deadline).
It is possible that none of it works out, that all four key players — Rajon Rondo is in there, too — will be back with the Celtics. But there are teams interested in getting some of these Celtics.
Allen’s free-agent options are up in the air. The Miami Heat are expected to make a strong run at signing him this summer, one league source said.
“First of all, (Boston) has to be willing to have me back,” Allen said. “Then you have to look around to see what’s acceptable and who is capable of having me on the team and then you go from there. It’s hard to really say.”
To play for Miami, Allen will have to take a steep pay cut. With each of Miami’s big three making more than $17 million, the Heat already have $78 million on the books for next season — that is over both the projected salary cap (by about $20 million) and luxury tax. Either the Celtics would agree to a sign-and-trade or Allen wants to play there at whatever salary because the Celtics and other teams could and will offer more money — shooters are always in demand.
But that’s something to watch this summer. It also will be interesting to see who comes forward and goes after Garnett.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 6
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 42
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?