Mar 22, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
This playoffs could be the last run of this Boston Celtics era — Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are free agents this summer, and with one year left on his deal the Celtics will look to move Paul Pierce (as they did at the trade deadline).
It is possible that none of it works out, that all four key players — Rajon Rondo is in there, too — will be back with the Celtics. But there are teams interested in getting some of these Celtics.
Allen’s free-agent options are up in the air. The Miami Heat are expected to make a strong run at signing him this summer, one league source said.
“First of all, (Boston) has to be willing to have me back,” Allen said. “Then you have to look around to see what’s acceptable and who is capable of having me on the team and then you go from there. It’s hard to really say.”
To play for Miami, Allen will have to take a steep pay cut. With each of Miami’s big three making more than $17 million, the Heat already have $78 million on the books for next season — that is over both the projected salary cap (by about $20 million) and luxury tax. Either the Celtics would agree to a sign-and-trade or Allen wants to play there at whatever salary because the Celtics and other teams could and will offer more money — shooters are always in demand.
But that’s something to watch this summer. It also will be interesting to see who comes forward and goes after Garnett.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18