Mar 22, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
It had been reported for a while that Patty Mills was close to signing with the Spurs — this is why you should be reading our And-1 Links — but the process seemed to be moving slowly.
Well, now it’s official. Sort of. Mills has a deal in place with the Spurs, reports the Express-News. But he can’t sign it until some visa issues are worked out for the Australian, his agent told the paper.
“It shouldn’t be too much longer,” agent Aaron Goodwin told the Express-News. “There is a deal in principle. He just has to get a visa.”
Mills played for the Trail Blazers last season and is a solid backup NBA point guard — something the Spurs could use to help cut down on the minutes Tony Parker is playing heading into the playoffs. Mills opted to play in China during the lockout.
This would be a nice pickup by the Spurs. Mills isn’t going to put them over the top but when Parker left the game Wednesday night with a tight hamstring (we don’t yet know the severity of that) it was a reminder of how fragile their success can be.
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14