Mar 22, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
It had been reported for a while that Patty Mills was close to signing with the Spurs — this is why you should be reading our And-1 Links — but the process seemed to be moving slowly.
Well, now it’s official. Sort of. Mills has a deal in place with the Spurs, reports the Express-News. But he can’t sign it until some visa issues are worked out for the Australian, his agent told the paper.
“It shouldn’t be too much longer,” agent Aaron Goodwin told the Express-News. “There is a deal in principle. He just has to get a visa.”
Mills played for the Trail Blazers last season and is a solid backup NBA point guard — something the Spurs could use to help cut down on the minutes Tony Parker is playing heading into the playoffs. Mills opted to play in China during the lockout.
This would be a nice pickup by the Spurs. Mills isn’t going to put them over the top but when Parker left the game Wednesday night with a tight hamstring (we don’t yet know the severity of that) it was a reminder of how fragile their success can be.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37