Mar 22, 2012, 1:24 PM EST
It had been reported for a while that Patty Mills was close to signing with the Spurs — this is why you should be reading our And-1 Links — but the process seemed to be moving slowly.
Well, now it’s official. Sort of. Mills has a deal in place with the Spurs, reports the Express-News. But he can’t sign it until some visa issues are worked out for the Australian, his agent told the paper.
“It shouldn’t be too much longer,” agent Aaron Goodwin told the Express-News. “There is a deal in principle. He just has to get a visa.”
Mills played for the Trail Blazers last season and is a solid backup NBA point guard — something the Spurs could use to help cut down on the minutes Tony Parker is playing heading into the playoffs. Mills opted to play in China during the lockout.
This would be a nice pickup by the Spurs. Mills isn’t going to put them over the top but when Parker left the game Wednesday night with a tight hamstring (we don’t yet know the severity of that) it was a reminder of how fragile their success can be.
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 6
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 1
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 15
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 1
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)