Mar 22, 2012, 1:24 PM EST
It had been reported for a while that Patty Mills was close to signing with the Spurs — this is why you should be reading our And-1 Links — but the process seemed to be moving slowly.
Well, now it’s official. Sort of. Mills has a deal in place with the Spurs, reports the Express-News. But he can’t sign it until some visa issues are worked out for the Australian, his agent told the paper.
“It shouldn’t be too much longer,” agent Aaron Goodwin told the Express-News. “There is a deal in principle. He just has to get a visa.”
Mills played for the Trail Blazers last season and is a solid backup NBA point guard — something the Spurs could use to help cut down on the minutes Tony Parker is playing heading into the playoffs. Mills opted to play in China during the lockout.
This would be a nice pickup by the Spurs. Mills isn’t going to put them over the top but when Parker left the game Wednesday night with a tight hamstring (we don’t yet know the severity of that) it was a reminder of how fragile their success can be.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 45
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 17
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12