Mar 22, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
It had been reported for a while that Patty Mills was close to signing with the Spurs — this is why you should be reading our And-1 Links — but the process seemed to be moving slowly.
Well, now it’s official. Sort of. Mills has a deal in place with the Spurs, reports the Express-News. But he can’t sign it until some visa issues are worked out for the Australian, his agent told the paper.
“It shouldn’t be too much longer,” agent Aaron Goodwin told the Express-News. “There is a deal in principle. He just has to get a visa.”
Mills played for the Trail Blazers last season and is a solid backup NBA point guard — something the Spurs could use to help cut down on the minutes Tony Parker is playing heading into the playoffs. Mills opted to play in China during the lockout.
This would be a nice pickup by the Spurs. Mills isn’t going to put them over the top but when Parker left the game Wednesday night with a tight hamstring (we don’t yet know the severity of that) it was a reminder of how fragile their success can be.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80