Mar 22, 2012, 4:38 PM EDT
The backcourt of the Spanish Olympic team has taken some real blows in recent weeks.
Spanish Olympic team takes another blow. Nuggets announce guard Rudy Fernandez to have lower back surgery and will miss rest of season.
First, that is a blow to a Nuggets team that is trying to hang on to one of the final playoff spots in the West and hold off hard-charging Phoenix and Utah. Denver is currently the 7 seed, 1.5 games ahead of 9 seed Utah and 3 up on 10 seed Phoenix (Houston is the 8 seed, one back of Denver). Denver already traded away Nene for JaVale McGee (although that worked out last night) and now this is a blow to their guard depth. Fernandez averaged 8.6 points per game and was a threat from three (although his shot from deep had been off this season at 32 percent).
Fernandez also would have seen a lot of key minutes in the backcourt for Spain this summer at the Olympics in London. It’s very possible that Rubio (knee surgery) and Fernandez would have started for Spain, or at least both would have played significant minutes together in the backcourt. Now more falls to Jose Calderon. Spain is considered the most serious competition for the USA in trying to defend its gold medal.
- Reports: Bulls close to firing Tom Thibodeau 0
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 0
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 38
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 3
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23