Mar 22, 2012, 4:38 PM EST
The backcourt of the Spanish Olympic team has taken some real blows in recent weeks.
Spanish Olympic team takes another blow. Nuggets announce guard Rudy Fernandez to have lower back surgery and will miss rest of season.
First, that is a blow to a Nuggets team that is trying to hang on to one of the final playoff spots in the West and hold off hard-charging Phoenix and Utah. Denver is currently the 7 seed, 1.5 games ahead of 9 seed Utah and 3 up on 10 seed Phoenix (Houston is the 8 seed, one back of Denver). Denver already traded away Nene for JaVale McGee (although that worked out last night) and now this is a blow to their guard depth. Fernandez averaged 8.6 points per game and was a threat from three (although his shot from deep had been off this season at 32 percent).
Fernandez also would have seen a lot of key minutes in the backcourt for Spain this summer at the Olympics in London. It’s very possible that Rubio (knee surgery) and Fernandez would have started for Spain, or at least both would have played significant minutes together in the backcourt. Now more falls to Jose Calderon. Spain is considered the most serious competition for the USA in trying to defend its gold medal.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 8
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54