Mar 22, 2012, 4:38 PM EST
The backcourt of the Spanish Olympic team has taken some real blows in recent weeks.
Spanish Olympic team takes another blow. Nuggets announce guard Rudy Fernandez to have lower back surgery and will miss rest of season.
First, that is a blow to a Nuggets team that is trying to hang on to one of the final playoff spots in the West and hold off hard-charging Phoenix and Utah. Denver is currently the 7 seed, 1.5 games ahead of 9 seed Utah and 3 up on 10 seed Phoenix (Houston is the 8 seed, one back of Denver). Denver already traded away Nene for JaVale McGee (although that worked out last night) and now this is a blow to their guard depth. Fernandez averaged 8.6 points per game and was a threat from three (although his shot from deep had been off this season at 32 percent).
Fernandez also would have seen a lot of key minutes in the backcourt for Spain this summer at the Olympics in London. It’s very possible that Rubio (knee surgery) and Fernandez would have started for Spain, or at least both would have played significant minutes together in the backcourt. Now more falls to Jose Calderon. Spain is considered the most serious competition for the USA in trying to defend its gold medal.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 25
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 23
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 10
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10