Mar 22, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
Mavericks’ fans are done with the Lamar Odom experiment.
Odom has struggled all season with the Mavericks, shooting 34.5 percent (down from 54 percent the year before), looking lost on the court, and that carried over to Wednesday against the Lakers when he was 0-3 with 1 point and 1 rebound on the night.
Now whenever Odom steps on the court in Dallas, he is greeted by a series of boos. It wasn’t much at first but it has grown into a sizable chorus in recent weeks.
“That’s just stupidity,” Kobe Bryant said…
“It’s tough,” Bryant said. “He comes to a team that’s pretty much set, you know what I mean? So it’s hard for him to find his niche. The fans, they don’t really understand what he does or how he can do it, you know what I mean?
“I hope they don’t unlock that mystery. I know. I know how to use him and to use his skill set and this, that and the other. But with this team, the roster that they had being pretty much set, it’s tough for him to be able to find his groove here.”
Dirk Nowitzki may have summed it up best.
“As a shooter, as a player, if you get a little hesitant, it’s over,” Dirk Nowitzki said. “Once you start thinking in this game, that’s tough.”
Odom can be bought out of the last year of his deal for $2.4 million after this season, and with the Mavericks desire to clear cap space that is expected to happen. Which is going to make him one of the more interesting free agents to watch this summer — for few players is finding the right fit more important than for Odom.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6