Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:07 pm: I said below in the original post I’d believe the report Allen Iverson was going to play in the Dominican Republic when I saw him take the court there.
We’re not going to see it. Gary Moore, the long-time business manager for Iverson, told the Associated Press (which made the original report) there was no deal.
Moore says Iverson is “shocked” by Nunez’s announcement. Moore says Iverson is still working out, “waiting for another opportunity.”
Iverson’s next opportunity is not going to come in the NBA directly, he’s going to have to play somewhere else (D-League, overseas) and prove to NBA GMs that he is worth the risk. But that doesn’t have to be in the Dominican.
6:18 pm: Allen Iverson has been trying to find a path back to the NBA (where he last played two seasons ago), but those doors appear to be shut. Maybe he could open them with a strong stint for a D-League team or a team overseas… but this one seems a long shot.
Iverson has agreed to play in a Dominican Republic league, according to the Associated Press.
Team president Milton Nunez told The Associated Press on Thursday the 36-year-old guard will play for Pueblo Nuevo. He declined to say how much Iverson will be paid.
Iverson is to arrive Sunday and play for his second-place team that same day against GUG in Santiago province, Nunez said.
“He and his agent have told us that he has been training a lot and that even if he hasn’t been playing anywhere, he has what we need to help Pueblo Nuevo,” Nunez said.
This is supposed to be a one-month deal. I’ll believe it when I see it. With Iverson these kinds of things have a way of dissipating before becoming reality.
A lot of people are going to tie this back to reports that Allen Iverson is broke, something that has been disputed by people close to him who apparently set up a fund to limit Iverson’s ability to spend away all his own cash. Either way, he could still be doing this for the money.
Either way, for his legacy’s sake I wish Iverson could just walk away. But it appears he cannot do that.
Which is too bad. Because it is a long, long way from the Dominican to convincing an NBA GM to take a shot with you.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40