Allen Iverson will not play in Dominican Republic, despite report

Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 PM EST

Allen Iverson

UPDATE 10:07 pm: I said below in the original post I’d believe the report Allen Iverson was going to play in the Dominican Republic when I saw him take the court there.

We’re not going to see it. Gary Moore, the long-time business manager for Iverson, told the Associated Press (which made the original report) there was no deal.

Moore says Iverson is “shocked” by Nunez’s announcement. Moore says Iverson is still working out, “waiting for another opportunity.”

Iverson’s next opportunity is not going to come in the NBA directly, he’s going to have to play somewhere else (D-League, overseas) and prove to NBA GMs that he is worth the risk. But that doesn’t have to be in the Dominican.

6:18 pm: Allen Iverson has been trying to find a path back to the NBA (where he last played two seasons ago), but those doors appear to be shut. Maybe he could open them with a strong stint for a D-League team or a team overseas… but this one seems a long shot.

Iverson has agreed to play in a Dominican Republic league, according to the Associated Press.

Team president Milton Nunez told The Associated Press on Thursday the 36-year-old guard will play for Pueblo Nuevo. He declined to say how much Iverson will be paid.

Iverson is to arrive Sunday and play for his second-place team that same day against GUG in Santiago province, Nunez said.

“He and his agent have told us that he has been training a lot and that even if he hasn’t been playing anywhere, he has what we need to help Pueblo Nuevo,” Nunez said.

This is supposed to be a one-month deal. I’ll believe it when I see it. With Iverson these kinds of things have a way of dissipating before becoming reality.

A lot of people are going to tie this back to reports that Allen Iverson is broke, something that has been disputed by people close to him who apparently set up a fund to limit Iverson’s ability to spend away all his own cash. Either way, he could still be doing this for the money.

Either way, for his legacy’s sake I wish Iverson could just walk away. But it appears he cannot do that.

Which is too bad. Because it is a long, long way from the Dominican to convincing an NBA GM to take a shot with you.

1. pbanach01 - Mar 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quit hating on the best player 6 feet or under ever. You act like he was an unreal cancer on all his teams and he pulled T.O. and Moss like shenanigans constantly. A.I. definitely has not been the most disciplined player over the years but come on he gets disrespected left and right by the media (who report inaccurate stories from time to time haha). Dude played his heart out every time hes on the floor and let his pride get in the way of his role on the team at the end of his career. Apparently he realizes he was wrong and if his skills are still half of what he was as a player then he could help a team who lacks scoring off the bench. I just think everyone should stop sh$tting all over him and let the man pursue what he wants to. Hope to see him in the NBA again even for a season or two!

• goforthanddie - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Funny how he realizes the error of his ways AFTER he’s burned his bridges. And teams are supposed to line up to buy that load? Nope.

2. illegalblues - Mar 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM

always think he’s wearing a chef’s hat when i see that picture. dope

3. tubal22 - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Iverson to sign large contract with Dominican Republic team, show up for practice, and call it quits. (again)

• hojo20 - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Those neck tats might not be helpful if he’s applying for a job in the real world.

4. andyp03 - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Not too concerned with who agrees or disagrees with this comment or how asinine it may sound, but I was bored one day and decided to compare stats between Kobe and A.I. during their first 8 years in the L, and aside from rings (which Shaq may or may not had a MAJOR role in winning), A.I.’s stats are right there with Kobe’s and arguably are better than in most of the major categories, minus boards of course.. And that’s including assists (you know, since A.I. never passed the ball (rolls eyes)… aka this dude deserves to be remembered with the best and not as a broke, ex-husband with bad knees and worse attitude. Not to mention the dude is responsible for ushering in an entire era (post-Jordan, hip hop infused) of basketball for fans around the world.

A.I., props for getting back in to playing ball and doing what you are supposed to be doing from the jump. From a white kid in the suburbs of Philadelphia, you had a profound impact on my life and taught me how to be competitive in everything I do. And believe me, more people feel like me than don’t.

• slowclyde86 - Mar 23, 2012 at 9:51 AM

So other than rebounding, championships, leadership and team chemistry, he was great v. Koby. Uh, ok, whatever.

• andyp03 - Mar 23, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Who is Koby? Uh, ok, whatever.

5. goforthanddie - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Over/under: 5 games before he quits.

• goforthanddie - Mar 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Looks like under is a winnah!!!

6. lakerluver - Mar 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Just hang it up already!! No matter what, after Isiah, Iverson is the best 6 footer to ever lace em up.

7. premiumpit - Mar 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

When Iverson was on his gane and in his prime…he was one of the best scorers ever…The man was almost unstoppable…but its a shame he lost his way because he just didnt have his head in right most of the time…

8. havlicekstoletheball - Mar 22, 2012 at 9:01 PM

“Hablamos de práctica? Práctica? Hablamos de práctica?”

9. 1historian - Mar 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM

sad

10. nflofficeadmin - Mar 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Practice!?

11. andyreidisfat - Mar 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Is it me or don’t the sixers need a scorer off the bench? After two full season with no nba perhaps Allen had heeled up a bit. Let’s be real here A.I. Or anyone the sixers have taking the last shot ? It’s that simple. Yeah he left last time but that was because he had family problems and IMO he was hurt. I think he can really help a team like the sixers win a round or two.

• losangelasbasketball - Mar 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Iverson hasn’t lost any of his competitiveness, you can’t have the career he had as a 6 footer without being very clever…you drop him in an NBA 2nd unit somewhere and he will lose his mind over an 82 game season coming off the bench… It’s very possible that he could be the 6th man of the year… every year… but his ego won’t allow him to be content with that i think….

12. jumbossportsblog - Mar 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Reblogged this on jumbossportsblog.

13. lakerluver - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

It’s over, Allen. You were one of the greatest players I’ve ever seen in my 30 plus years of watching college and pro basketball. The only “little” man I think was better is Isiah.

14. rocirius - Mar 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Seems like Isaiah Thomas was 6’1″ or 6’2″ if my memory serves me correctly. Either way, AI is a far better player in my opinion and might have several titles if he had been surrounded by the teammates Isaiah had. I think Isaiah compares nicely to Tony Parker. Definitely good, but I can think of several point guards playing today who I think are better but just need a good team, a championship or two and some longevity for many NBA fans to rank them above Isiah. I think Dumars was the best all-around guard on those Pistons teams.

15. grimreeper - Mar 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Put him over there with Derrick Rose damn that would be great!!!!

16. glink123 - Mar 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yeah, he ushered in an entire era of basketball that Stern and the entire NBA has been desperately trying to undo.

17. diamondmo33 - Mar 26, 2012 at 2:24 PM

The bulls could use him.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches