Mar 21, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs locker room culture and Boris Diaw — on the surface that seems like oil and water. But Gregg Popovich may get to see if he can mix the two for the rest of the season.
Diaw agreed to a buyout with Charlotte and now just has to clear waivers — which will happen, nobody is taking on that contract — then he will be a free agent.
The Spurs are the frontrunners to land him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. It seems an odd mix because they already have their front line rotation set — Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner, DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter. Each of those guys fit what the Spurs do well, Diaw I’m not so sure. While you can argue Diaw is more talented than Bonner the fact is Bonner brings a reliable skills set — he can stretch the floor and drain the three — and he brings effort every night.
That has been the knock on Diaw from his days in in Phoenix — inconsistent effort and focus on both ends of the floor. Combine that with him showing up to camp heavy this year and he was in Bobcats’ coach Paul Silas’ doghouse from the beginning. In recent weeks has barely seen the floor.
Pull that stuff with Popovich and he won’t see the floor either. But maybe a different locker room changes him.
The Celtics are also rumored to be in the running (and they have rotation minutes to give him).
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 0
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 3
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 27
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 31
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 10
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17