Mar 21, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs locker room culture and Boris Diaw — on the surface that seems like oil and water. But Gregg Popovich may get to see if he can mix the two for the rest of the season.
Diaw agreed to a buyout with Charlotte and now just has to clear waivers — which will happen, nobody is taking on that contract — then he will be a free agent.
The Spurs are the frontrunners to land him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. It seems an odd mix because they already have their front line rotation set — Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner, DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter. Each of those guys fit what the Spurs do well, Diaw I’m not so sure. While you can argue Diaw is more talented than Bonner the fact is Bonner brings a reliable skills set — he can stretch the floor and drain the three — and he brings effort every night.
That has been the knock on Diaw from his days in in Phoenix — inconsistent effort and focus on both ends of the floor. Combine that with him showing up to camp heavy this year and he was in Bobcats’ coach Paul Silas’ doghouse from the beginning. In recent weeks has barely seen the floor.
Pull that stuff with Popovich and he won’t see the floor either. But maybe a different locker room changes him.
The Celtics are also rumored to be in the running (and they have rotation minutes to give him).
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 0
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 39
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55