Mar 21, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs locker room culture and Boris Diaw — on the surface that seems like oil and water. But Gregg Popovich may get to see if he can mix the two for the rest of the season.
Diaw agreed to a buyout with Charlotte and now just has to clear waivers — which will happen, nobody is taking on that contract — then he will be a free agent.
The Spurs are the frontrunners to land him, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. It seems an odd mix because they already have their front line rotation set — Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner, DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter. Each of those guys fit what the Spurs do well, Diaw I’m not so sure. While you can argue Diaw is more talented than Bonner the fact is Bonner brings a reliable skills set — he can stretch the floor and drain the three — and he brings effort every night.
That has been the knock on Diaw from his days in in Phoenix — inconsistent effort and focus on both ends of the floor. Combine that with him showing up to camp heavy this year and he was in Bobcats’ coach Paul Silas’ doghouse from the beginning. In recent weeks has barely seen the floor.
Pull that stuff with Popovich and he won’t see the floor either. But maybe a different locker room changes him.
The Celtics are also rumored to be in the running (and they have rotation minutes to give him).
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 8
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 24
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 15
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7